Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

realgenius

Gosh, by the looks of it I may need to try CA for glue ups. I've been using Epoxy cause that's what Penn State sent w/my kit. Since then I've gone to 5min set/1 hr working time, seems great.So, all youse guys who have been turning longer than I, what brand and or type CA do youse reccomend???[:D][8D]
Not really a Nor Easter but did spend alot of my young life there w/G-parents
Thanks, Debra

OSCAR15

Always have used 5 min epoxy. Works fast..Guess everyone has a preference, but the bottom line is that whatever you use must work for the job intended.

jcollazo

Sumo Glue!

A lot less foaming than GG, tubes clean out nicely and I can turn in about an hour (I glue up 20-40 blanks at a time). Just don't forget your gloves[xx(]

Joe

Dario

95% Poly Urethane
4.9% 2 part EPoxy
0.1% CA

[:D][:D][:D]

I usually plan on what I'll turn in advance anyway and always have a few glued up.

I tried CA and the very first time the tube got stuck midway. Now I only use it on acrylics.

If I want something fast, I use a 2 part epoxy...even with that I use a 30 minute. Maybe it is the San Antonio weather but a 15 minute epoxy sets in less than 5 minutes here.

assembler

I believe GG to be best for gluing tubes to blanks because the GG expands. First I apply GG glue the tube and then quickly use a cotton swab to wet the inside of the blank. Shure it has a cure time of 3 to 4 hours, but good things come to those who wait (I let it set over night or even longer).

I have never had a tube spin loose inside a blank using GG, I have with CA. Epoxy is probably as good as GG, but there is usually more waste, and with GG there is no mixing.

gppatnude

I started with CA, but after making a a dozen or so pens, had some failures due to slightly oversize or out-of-round holes, and some failures due to overwintering of pre-glued blanks.

I Switched to 5-minute epoxy for a couple of reasons -
1] better gap-filling;
2] quick setting - i can work it after 15 minutes;
3] little or no chance of gluing myself together or to anything else;
4] cost is about the same as CA, and less than Gorilla

[:)] s/gordon

mewell

While I <u><b>WAS</u></b> using CA for a LONG time, I've switched to Sumo. No more blow ups [:D] but it takes a little longer, especially since I've started plugging the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom