best Emperor material ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

My evil twin is forcing me to write this post. ;)

I am soon going to make my first Emperor. When finished, it is intended to be displayed and (hopefully) sold in the art gallery where my pens are. Being commercially minded, I'm looking for input from those who have made, and sold, Emps as to what material and colors are the most successful in your experience. As you know, I'm a wood guy. But, I'm also a frugal dollars guy and would rather turn a profit than be stubborn. So, even......I have trouble saying this.... 'alternate' [:0] non-wood materials will be considered. Right now, I'm leaning to the alt. jade or onyx.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />My evil twin is forcing me to write this post. [;)]

I am soon going to make my first Emperor. When finished, it is intended to be displayed and (hopefully) sold in the art gallery where my pens are. Being commercially minded, I'm looking for input from those who have made, and sold, Emps as to what material and colors are the most successful in your experience. As you know, I'm a wood guy. But, I'm also a frugal dollars guy and would rather turn a profit than be stubborn. So, even......I have trouble saying this.... 'alternate' [:0] non-wood materials will be considered. Right now, I'm leaning to the alt. jade or onyx.

Frank, never made one myself, but I think some nice acrylics or artificial stone will be looking great (just made a Statesman from a Lapis blank, and it looked stunning). If you consider wood, some nice burl or a wood like the ancient Kauri or Irish Bog Oak makes also a nice pen!

IPD_Mrs

The Irish Bog Oak would be nice. You don't want too much grain or anything that competes with the embeleshments. Lyle did a few a while back check out his photo album. 4000 to 7000 year old wood is quite a draw for people.

Rifleman1776

I have looked through the album. Surprisingly, most shown were made with wood. [:D] And, just as surprising, the best, to my thinking, were made from relatively common woods like Cocobolo and Bethelem Olive wood. The Australian collection was stunning. All the burls were gang busters. I least liked the segmented pens. Fine demonstrations of the penmakers craft but the final products were just too 'circus busy' IMHO. The best finishes looked the most elegant as well. Still, keep the opinions coming folks.

redfishsc

The pen below, from the photo albums, is Alamocdc's and is my favorite Emperor (actually a Jr Emp). I have only made one Emp, with curly eucalyptus (no pic, sorry).

I just love Alamo's choice of resin and plating. Yes, it is eccentric, but that's partly why I like it. If I recall, this is one of the "italian" resins from a bulk buy a while back. I missed out on that one.

JemperorBTrb_shaefferblueIR.jpg

I have made a few Emp's, from amboynya burl and ebony, to Tru Stone, Alternative Ivory and black acrylic. They have all done well.

Gaboon Ebony, Jr Emp
IMG_7432.jpg

Black acrylic,
IMG_7059.jpg

Red Jasper Tru Stone
IMG_7056.jpg

Amboyna

donation1.jpg

Alt Ivory

IMG_5458.jpg

rhahnfl

I've only made one also. It hasn't sold but has caused a few to be ordered when potential buyers found out the price and wanted something a little less expensive. I think having a few really nice ones around will make the others more attractive. IMHO

2007106183820_Emperor_B.jpg
<br />

Rmartin

Those are all some beautifull pens.

To me, you can't beat Amboyna burl, or Thuya burl, or wavy Koa, or .............

I like the Emperor because it's straight sides makes a perfect canvas for segmenting.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Frank, I'm not a lot of help. The only one I sold was made with some golden desert ironwood.

I have seen some in the Blue Lapis TruStone that were striking. (Sorry, can't remember who made the one or ones I am thinking of.)

Rifleman1776

Hi Cav. That's OK. Like most things here, opinions are very diverse. I'll have to go with my gut. What I would like is more input from those who sell the Emps on a regular basis and learn what materials and colors move best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom