Berea kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

I got a question .Are Berea cigar pen kits the same as and or as GOOD a quality as PSI Big Ben kits?? I really like the PSI Big Ben kits so far ..But I see Berea is a lot less expensive and look the same just NOT sure about the quality ...And what about the Berea kits in genral ???? There slim line kits look ok to but again being new is the quality there ????[?][:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

I've never tried the cigar pens, but all the berea kits I've used have been top shelf. CSUSA makes some higher-end pens, but I imagine the CS cigars and berea cigars are very similar. That said, I've seen a lot of people talk down the PSI kits, but the ones I've seen that George made, were the same quality of similar berea kits. These were all 7mm twist style pens, which are kind of cheap feeling from any brand (the clip, especially). I know their Ti plating is much more reasonably priced.

Randy_

I can't comment specifically to the cigar kit; but in general I have found the Berea lines to be of higher quality than the PSI stuff. I have no explanation for the price disparity.

Daniel

I've made Cigar pens from P.S.I. adn CSUSA. for me they are the same pen. CSUSA stamps there clip which is a touch that I like.
I have seen a Berea Cigar pen and didn't notice a difference from the other two. Berea claims there plating process is better than everyone elses though. 24k and 10k gold will wear off though. never seen a gold coating that wouldn't so I don't get real excited about how it was put on in the first place, it comes off the same way any other would. you can try Ryan from woodturningz, or Sheila at Pens of Color, and get your prices a bit lower. these would be P.S.I. kits.

airrat

I have done the Big Ben fountain pen from PSI, I am not thrilled about it. It is on its second nib from them and so far both of them have come in with plating issues. The gold is just not very nice and I cannot sell it due to fear it will rub off ASAP. I have turned other fountain pens from PSI and they seem to be better quality.

I turn mostly the Berea cigar kits from AZ, he has them on sale all the time and when he puts the higher end kits on sale it makes it nice.

Here is a picture of it.

200649133518_4-9-2006%20004.jpg

Rudy Vey

I pretty much use Berea kits exclusively. Their quality is excellent. The kits I use are: Am. Flattop, Slimline, El Grande and El Grande streamlined, Baron - all in various platings. I cannot comment on PSI quality, but I must say that I have not heard too much good of them.
From Craft Supplies I only used the Gent Jr kits (before the Baron came out) and I had a lot of thread problems. I might use some of their larger kits (Gent, Statesman, Emperor)if I get orders for real large and heavy pens.
Please, keep in mind that Berea is the largest maker of pen kits, I am not sure if the other companies (CSUSA and PSI) make their own kits. Berea kits are also sold from a number of comapnies:
Arizona Silhouette
Woodcraft
Rockler
Beartooth Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom