Berea Flat Top American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I turned my first Flat Top American, today, and things didn't go well. I was very careful to size the cap-end of the pen according to the instructions, using both Berea's gauge and a digital micrometer. But, when I pressed in the twist mechanism flush to the center, there was probably 1/8" more than flush at the finial end so that there was no way to tighten the finial. My cap blank may have been a thousandth or two out of spec, but no where close to the amount of excess at the finial end. Did I miss something or should I adjust the cap blank length in the next FTA I turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Was that the only Berea FT kit you had? If you have another one, check the cap tube length. I recently did a Perfect fit and I absolutely know I didn't cut 1/8"+ on the lower tube but it was way short. It was the same length as the Elegant American lower barrel tube. I'm convinced the kit had the wrong tubes to begin with.

woodpens

Personally, I disregard the instructions for the cap. Here is how I do it.
Press the center band over the exposed brass tube.
Press the finial and brass insert that it screws into in the top end of the cap.
Screw the twist mechanism onto the lower body over the ink refill.
Then, with the wood grain aligned as desired, press the cap down over the twist mechanism until the hardware is just covered by the center band.
Then, remove the finial. Put the clip in the desired location with a dab of CA glue, and reinstall the finial. This could be done earlier, but I like to see the way the grain looks before I decide where the clip will go.

BryanJon

Thanks Jim , That sounds like a great way to get the right fit. I always had a problem with that kit too.
Never any issues with the CSUSA Americana though.

I assemble the cap the same way as Jim. Check the last page - points #6 and #7 of the Woodcraft instructions. I find them better than the Berea instructions. http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A76.pdf

PMisiaszek

Jim, George, Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

In the Woodcraft instructions, they suggest "careful scraping action" to "shave" some wood from the end of the pen bottom, "if necessary." Have you ever had to do this, and if so, how did you do it at this stage of assembly?

I'm pretty disappointed with Berea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom