Berea Elegant American Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Someone recently asked about converting the Berea Elegant American to a pencil... it can be done.. basically the same conversion as doing an Atlas into a pencil.. see the picture below
2005528185415_Atlas%20conversion.jpg

The only tricky part is the dimensions.. you need to be pretty much dead on...
The bottom barrel of the pen I did measured 3.385" from the tip of the nib to the top of the mechansim...
I cut the Schmidt mechanism as shown above and then had to fine tune the length.. I found that with the barrel measurement as above, the length of the tip section that you pull out to refill leads should be .435". If your bottom barrel is longer or shorter you will have to make the necessary adjustments accordingly...
I also found that because this is a double twist mechanism, replacing the upper barrel may seem to feel real tight until it is set and in the retracted position again... but once it is in place you can advance the pencil lead by twisting in either direction, just remember that you need to reset the top barrel to the retracted position after advancing the lead...
I hope this helps... it is not a hard conversion, but you do need to watch your measurements...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom