Bent Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4knf

I have been trying to make the perfect cigar pen but have recently run into problems with the finished product being out of round. I have only noticed this "out of roundness" on cigars, not slims, or designers.

What is a good way of telling if the mandrel is bent or its just an improperly made bushing? My money is on the mandrel being bent - which likely led to the bushing being sanded down over time but I have no way of proving it.

Also, would anyone recommend using a set of calipers while making a pen? Yea, the bushing help in getting the pen down to the correct thickness but you never really know for sure until the pen has been assembled making it a bit of a gamble until the end. With a set of calipers you know for sure is the same thickness as the metal part near the barrels ends. Let me hear your thoughts...

-Steve-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I would suggest you first make sure your lathe is true. Bring the tailstock up to the headstock. Have a spur in the head and live center in tail. Do the points meet perfectly? If they don't, you have a problem that may or may not be adjustable on the lathe. If they do, place your mandrel in the spindle and bring the live center up to the end of the rod. Does the point of the live center meet the end of the rod perfectly? If it doesn't you have a problem with the arbor/mandrel. I had just that problem with a new Berea mandrel that is now on it's way back for replacement. My old one (also a Berea) meets perfectly.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don't you use the same mandrel for your slims and designers? If they are perfect, and the cigars are not, look at the cigar bushings. They space the cigar from the mandrel-if the fit is sloppy, so is the pen.

A caliper is a great idea, but it won't easily tell you if you are out of round.

wudwrkr

What are you using for your live center? IMHO, the wrong, or worn live center can produce wobble which results in out of round pens. Make sure your live center is 60 degrees. If you think you have a bad mandrel, roll it on a flat surface and check for any light between the mandrel and the surface.

It is this exact problem that brought me to this site. Good Luck!

gerryr

Also, several times while you're turning the blanks, stop the lathe, loosen the nut and rotate the blanks 90 degrees on the mandrel. This will help solve some out of round problems too.

kf4knf

Gerryr, what a funny answer. I havent ever thought about that but I bet it would work! [:D]

Thanks for the help guys. I will check that stuff when I get home and into the shop.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Also, several times while you're turning the blanks, stop the lathe, loosen the nut and rotate the blanks 90 degrees on the mandrel. This will help solve some out of round problems too.

I have to say this-SORRY!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

By that logic, if I have a flat tire, I should get out of the car at each intersection and blow it up, rather than having it fixed???????

Won't this slow down my travel, some?????

kf4knf

At least its a temporary work around till I can get some new bushings. That post still cracks me up - why didnt I think of that! DOH! [:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Put a sheet of paper between your bushing and the tube (toilet paper, paper towel). This should keep the rotation centered.

gerryr

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Also, several times while you're turning the blanks, stop the lathe, loosen the nut and rotate the blanks 90 degrees on the mandrel. This will help solve some out of round problems too.

I have to say this-SORRY!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

By that logic, if I have a flat tire, I should get out of the car at each intersection and blow it up, rather than having it fixed???????

Won't this slow down my travel, some?????

Ed, it only works this way with pen mandrels. With flat tires, you have to inflate them without stopping.[:D][:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

While I admit I could use some exercise, running next to the car to inflate the tire seems counter-productive.

But, then, I must admit I have never actually TRIED it. So, what do I KNOW???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom