Benjamins Best Chisels,... any good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

I found these chisels on the PSI website, very reasonable prices for hefty looking tools, especially the 2" roughing gouge and such. I used a couple large gouges of GKetells at the get together a couple months ago, and liked them a lot, can't remember the brand though. My question is, does anybody own this particular brand? Are they actually a good chisel? They are HSS, can there be that much of a difference between these and other HSS chisels? Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I've had a set of the Benjamin's Best for a couple of years and have been pretty happy with them. They're not the hardest steel around, so I find I sharpen frequently (my spindle gouge is warn to just a short nib :-(), but they do the job at a good price.

-Barry

bdonald

Well, I have thier 5/8 bowl gouge bowl and box scraper, and they are nice. They are similar to the HF ones as Chris said <suspiciously so to the grooves in the handles, at least on my set>, but both the BB and HF Windsor set have held up well to my abuse :) I'd say that my experience, as well as my buddy who bought thier whole bowl set has been positive and proved well worth the money.

Bob

rjwolfe3

I have two of the mini sets - hss and carbide and like them. I am going to be getting a bowl turning set and a set of normal lathe tools possibly from them depending on the price.

M

Mudder

I use their scrapers and found them to be a very good value for the money.

Rifleman1776

I have some Benjamin's Best tools and like them. They are very similar to the Harbor Freight tools that I also have and enjoy using.

Sorry, but comparing favorably with Harbor Freight tools isn't much of a recommendation. If you are after quality more than budget price, go for top of the line stuff.
My most used tool is the 1" skew. I have had a no-name import cheapie, an old Buck Brothers cast steel and now have a Taylor. The Taylor requires sharpening just as often as the other two. Simply not worth the $80.00 price when you can get, IMHO, just as good for $5.00.
The Thompson has a great reputation for edge holding. I haven't used personally but others give glowing reports.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I own quite a few of the Benjamin's Best chisels and I like them. Roughing gouges, bowl gouges, scrapers, skews. I've bought most of them individually on eBay, but I did buy a set of bowl tools (2 gouges, 2 scrapers) in a box a couple years ago.

rickstef

I have a set of 6 tools that PSI sells for $80, 70 when I bought it, had used my dad's prior to that, I like the longer tool handle than what is on my dad's tools.

There might be one or two more tools I would like to get from them, but seeing that I only turn on the weekends, anything higher end would be a waste right now

Rick

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I own quite a few of the Benjamin's Best chisels and I like them. Roughing gouges, bowl gouges, scrapers, skews. I've bought most of them individually on eBay, but I did buy a set of bowl tools (2 gouges, 2 scrapers) in a box a couple years ago.

Let's see, the 3/4" skew is, like $14 from PSI.

Our fearless leader, being the THRIFTY type, doesn't BLOW THE WHOLE WAD on the NEW ones, NOOOOOOOooooooooo, HE buys from E-bay!!

Jeff, you are a man after my own heart--------

CHEAPSKATE!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

bdonald

Sorry, but comparing favorably with Harbor Freight tools isn't much of a recommendation. If you are after quality more than budget price, go for top of the line stuff.
[/url]

Normally I agree with this statement, on HF as a whole at least, but thier windsor line of turning tools arent bad at all. I took a couple up to woodcraft for some sharpening advice and the mgr there was really suprised when I told him that I got them at HF. Sure, it's not a crown or an HT, but they have held up well for me, and I chose to go get another set to have it waiting in the wings. I had to dip into the second set in a hurry, and the quality was just as good as the first. He agreed with me though, that these are probably OEM'ed from the same place that makes BB.

M

Mudder

My most used tool is the 1" skew. I have had a no-name import cheapie, an old Buck Brothers cast steel and now have a Taylor. The Taylor requires sharpening just as often as the other two. Simply not worth the $80.00 price when you can get, IMHO, just as good for $5.00.
The Thompson has a great reputation for edge holding. I haven't used personally but others give glowing reports.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

Isn't a Taylor considered to be one of the "top of the line" tools?

Rifleman1776

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

Isn't a Taylor considered to be one of the "top of the line" tools?

No contradiction. Taylor is considered very good but no wheres near top of the line. My experience is that their reputation is built on hype.
I wish there could be an objective test of edge holding qualities among all brands. Bet there would be some shocking results.

RMB

Thanks guys! I went ahead and bought a parting tool, 1" standard skew,1"roughing gouge, and 1 1/2" round scraper. I got my largest comission yet on Friday, 4 boxed, engraved, sets of his and hers American rollerballs! That'll pay for my chisels, and a few other things! Nice when a hobby pays for itself, isn't it?

Top Bottom