Bench Plans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

howdy
not sure if you would consider this nice, but its cheap and easy.

Ive made a few of these, with and without wheels. This one is 2'x4', made from 2x4's and plywood, about 12 cuts and a bunch of exterior deck screws.

200745144643_bench%201%20DSC00979.jpg
<br />

This one is almost the same construction but i put wheels on it.
I use it as a routher table.

20074514480_bench%202%20DSC00976.jpg
<br />

When i need it as a workbench i put a top on it . There's a couple of pins (cut nails) on the sides that hold it on.

200745144222_bench%205%20DSC00977.jpg
<br />

To get an even bigger top just put a bigger piece one on.
Temp set up until i figure something else out for my new extention bed.

200745151219_bench%204%20DSC00980.jpg
<br />

just a thought....pete

Woodlvr

Pete,
Just screw down a piece of 1x6 long enough to hold the lathe w/extension then take it off when you are through. This way you can at least get right up to the lathe. Just a thought. I sit in a high backed office chair or a roll around padded chair to work at the lathe, I have a bad back and standing is hard for me to do for long periods of time. Benches look good though.

Mike

JimGo

If you look on Criagslist or the like, you can frequently find old Ikea-type furniture that is still in decent shape, and it's frequently VERY cheap. The laminated MDF that is used in that kind of furniture makes a great work surface.

les-smith

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Les, that's a pretty sweet system! Where did you actually purchase it?

I bought them at Lowe's. They are in the area with all of the joist hangers and things like that.

esheffield

I have a couple almost identical to this. But no drawer, and the shelf is 1/2" ply and the top is 1/2" ply with 3/4" particle board on top screwed down from underneath. I did that to allow have a thick, hard top with a surface that was relatively cheap and easy to replace. But I'll probably use MDF instead of particle board when I do replace the top. I can't stand OSB for any purpose whatsoever other than firewood. Ugly, rough, weak stuff in my opinion. [xx(] I like a workbench with a very hard, smooth surface.

My only problem with the bench is it's kinda wobbly front-to-back. I have a vise mounted on the corner and often hold bits of metal and pipe to hacksaw off, and it shakes like crazy. I think that could be fixed by adding a couple of diagonal 2x4s running from the front to rear legs. But unless you're planning to do something like that it's fine.

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />i made this bench from 2x4 and OSB, it's cheap and easy, much like the previous post and OSB is sturdy and cheaper than ply... if you don't like how OSB looks, laminate the top or something. i modifited it slightly and put a drawer in it.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.html

2007411173030_workbench.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom