Bench height

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is there a desirable height for the bench for a metal lathe? I'm now the proud owner of a 12x36 Craftsman atlas lathe. I'm going to have to modify the bench it's going to sit on. The top is just 3/4" plywood. I've been told that it needs to be solid. Anything else I need to be aware of before I start?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Congratulations on the lathe. Yes you do need a sturdy table. For a top, you might use 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together. A 2"x4" apron all around underneath the top with well braced 2"x4" or 4"x4" legs. The height will depend on your height and the height of the lathe. Have fun!

Ben

randyrls

Generally; The hand wheels on the carriage should be at elbow height.

The subject of how to mount the lathe is one that comes up endlessly on the metal lathe forums. Generally you want to lathe mounted to something sturdy that will not absorb lubricant (oils or cutting fluids). You want the head stock to be mounted firmly and the tail stock end to be bolted loosely. You do not want the mounting to introduce any twist or warp into the lathe bed.

Thank you. Going to get it home today and take pictures and start to set it up. Been reading the manual, a little lost on most of it. Have to find a drive pulley. The one on the motor isn't the right one.

Top Bottom