Been a long while

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ashaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaw

I finally had a chance to try out a new pen style. Apollo from PSI there is one issue with it (My issue) that I need to find out why.

2007121018506_apollo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

I was going to comment on the fit of the centreband but that has been covered. I do think the cap could be slimmer so that it blens more flowingly with the finial. Nice blank.[:)][^]

ashaw

Yep the was the problem. The pen components are made very well. The coupler is metal so the problem with the churchill should go away. You must pay attention when assembling. Each of the cap and barrel bushing as .005" difference. You must know which end is which before assembling. This may replace the churchill in the future. I will hae some customer feed back soon. Thanks for the comments.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
If you look at the CB and the plastic thread insert, you will see that the latter has a ridge which matches a recess of the former. Also, if you read the instructions, they tell you you need to trim excess plastic that does not get shoved up into the centerband. That was not necessary on mine... the fit was perfect and the plastic disappeared completely in the centerband. Another issue I had (and from the looks of if you may have also) is that the bushings were a poor fit - the tubes were way too loose on them and needed to be shimmed out. I posted a review at here

ashaw

Rich
I did not use their suggested drill bits. For the body I used a 12mm drill bit. For the cap I used a 35/64" drill bit. The body had a tight fit but worked for me. The cap was just perfect. I need to re-look at the pen and see what mods need to be done. I like the pen it is just not as straightforward as one would think. I did not use the direction made should have[B)]. The bushing fit well not loose at all. I have had some were I just made my own and use a set of calipers for the guide and measurements. I am make templates now because of another project I am working own and incorporate them into the process.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Of course, I did not use their sugg. drill bit either :) Who would have a .492" drill bit hanging around? I used a 1/2". 12 mm would have made a tight fit - helps conserve on glue I suppose [:)]

I'm surprised your bushings fit. Either they have a very loose spec and I got a marginal set while you got a good one, or maybe you had some glue inside the tubes which in this case actually helps (as long as you remove it before assembly [:)]) or you go lucky. I needed to use a .004" brass shim!

When I saw the recess inside the centerband I looked at the instructions. And was really surprised to find that comment about trimming excess plastic with a knife - now *THAT* is weird!!! It *SHOULD* fit without that. And I was wondering whether the person writing up the instructions goofed or what... If you had trimmed that heavy lip you'd have more of a problem. As it is, you can simply disassemble and assemble correctly.

I am make templates now because of another project I am working own and incorporate them into the process.
I tried in vain to understand that one [;)] You mean you're taking measurements from the parts to give the proper bushing dimensions?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Once again a strong case has been made for ignoring the instructions.

Kick both of them out of the "man club" for ever ATTEMPTING to READ the instructions - Clearly ALL ELSE HAD NOT YET FAILED!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Once again a strong case has been made for ignoring the instructions.

Kick both of them out of the "man club" for ever ATTEMPTING to READ the instructions - Clearly ALL ELSE HAD NOT YET FAILED!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]
In my defense... I was trying to review the pen and thus had no choice but to look at the instructions! Also... I was only looking at the pictures, I covered up the text at first. But the pictures were too obvious and matched what I saw... had to look at the text to see if I somehow could screw it up. Alas, I failed... didn't even take out the knife...

ashaw

Rich I made a set of measure templates so that I would not have to always go to my calibers. I have them set up by pen style. I made them out of aluminum sheet.
It was just a timer saver step nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom