BEALL COLLET

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I am interested in buting a Beall Collet system because I want to turn duck calls and I need something to hold the 5/8" mandrel. It is quite expensive to buy it just for some ocassional duck call turnings. So I wondered what other small things other member turned using the Beall collet chuck.

I guess I am just trying to justify spending so much. Also, does anyone have another less expensive system that works just as well? I always look for quality even if it cost more. Any help in making this decisiion would be appreciated.

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

PSI has one that is a little less and I've heard nothing but good about it. Woodcraft sale an even cheaper one but it uses different collets so it is harder to get different collets for it.

You will find you use the collet chuck a lot. It comes in handy for many things, epically with pen making. I wouldn't be without one, in fact I'm thinking about buying a PSI one to go with my Beall.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

If you only need the 5/8" collet then I would buy the PSI chuck. It is much less expensive and comes with 5 or 6 collets. The Beall chuck I don't think comes with any collets but I could be wrong.

ldb2000

1+ for the PSI collet chuck . It comes with a set of 5 collets , tommy bars and a case for the the same price as the Beall chuck body alone. Watch Amazon for it to go on sale , I got mine for $75 with free shipping . You can use the collet chuck for many other uses including drilling on the lathe and even making complete pens . I made this pen using just the collet chuck , no mandrel .

PTownSubbie

The ONLY thing I dislike about my PSI collet chuck is it only comes in a 1" thread pattern. I have a 1-1/4" head stock and had to buy an adapter. I can't drill all the way through my head stock which limits the depth at which I can drill. That is the ONLY drawback unless of course you have a 1" headstock and then that doesn't apply...

fernhills

The smartest $89 i have ever spent on this hobby, PSI collet. If you are doing game calls you will eventually need the 1/2' 5/8' 3/4" mandrels and the PSI holds them all. Good luck, Carl

aggromere

I turn a lot of closed end pens and the beall collet 1/4 inch holds the closed end mandrels I got from AS. I wish it had a 1 inch that would fit it so I could use it to drill blanks.

nava1uni

You can find bigger single buycollets on ebay. They run between $9 to $20. Anumber of people have mentioned a dealer 800 watt on ebay, but I haven't been able to locate him.

PTownSubbie

You can find bigger single buycollets on ebay. They run between $9 to $20. Anumber of people have mentioned a dealer 800 watt on ebay, but I haven't been able to locate him.

No spaces in the name: "800watt". See if that makes a difference. He usually doesn't respond to questions or emails though. But....I haven't heard anyone complain about never receiving what they ordered. Usually it is pretty fast shipping.

louie68

If you are looking for other source for collet/chuck systems $85.00 for set from www.flinthillsduckworks.com ask for andrew
he also sells brass mandrel various sizes. Tell him Louie56 from IAP told you to contact him

PaulDoug

The ONLY thing I dislike about my PSI collet chuck is it only comes in a 1" thread pattern. I have a 1-1/4" head stock and had to buy an adapter. I can't drill all the way through my head stock which limits the depth at which I can drill. That is the ONLY drawback unless of course you have a 1" headstock and then that doesn't apply...

Yes that is a drawback and I don't like adapters but, HA! I solved that problem. I bought a lathe with a 1" thread pattern so I could order the PSI one. Just kidding, well I did get another lathe and I did order the PSI chuck. I use a collet chuck often. You will be surprised what you will find yourself using it for. Money well spent, trust me.

Last edited:

KenV

Plan on the collets being a replacable item -- they last quite a while, but do encounter wear, scratches, drops, etc. Which is to say, picking a standard size system such as ER will allow easy replacement for a nominal cost. It also makes the change of lathes easier as you only need a new body.

For Pens and Calls - wood/acrylic etc, the import collets are most adequate precision and the 800watt prices are hard to beat. The smaller sets have sizes that are most usable (it is interesting how often I use the smaller sizes for things though - think brass points for tops)

If you get the metric sizes, you get a little bigger top end capability As I remember 3/4 imperial and a bit larger metric.

Spats139

Waiting for delivery

I checked out a number of the links mentioned here, and ended up going with the Beall chuck (from Packard Woodworks), and the 18 pc ER32 metric set from 800watt on eBay. The total was just under $130 before shipping. Shipping was an additional $50 to get everything north of the 49th parallel!

I selected the Beall in order to get the 1 1/4" - 8 thread size that will fit on my lathe without needing an adapter.

It took four auctions to get my collet set; that was because I had time, and because I wasn't interested in getting into any bidding wars. I got lucky on the fourth auction; I was the only bidder so I got the set for $49.00. Also, just for information, during the process I had sent an email to 800watt with a question, and I got a response the next morning.

Unfortunately, I suspect that it will be a little while before I get to play with the new toys. Lately, most shipments are taking about 2 - 3 weeks to arrive from US suppliers.:frown:

rogerpjr

beall collet chuck

I bought the Beall chuck only from them and then went on ebay and bought a whole set of collets from a guy for about $20 new. He sells them all the time.

rogerpjr

Yep, 800watt was the guy I bought them from. I just checked and he has a set listed for $19.99 now. Some have said they had problems dealing with him, but I've bought several items from him with no problems.

Yep, 800watt was the guy I bought them from. I just checked and he has a set listed for $19.99 now. Some have said they had problems dealing with him, but I've bought several items from him with no problems.

The collets he has listed now for $19.99 are er20. You need er32 for the beall and psi chuck.

I have been watching his listings. For at least the last week he has not had an er32 set listed. :mad:

nava1uni

The collets he has listed now for $19.99 are er20. You need er32 for the beall and psi chuck.

I have been watching his listings. For at least the last week he has not had an er32 set listed. :mad:

He has two sets available as of this morning. I just saw them online.

[/quote]He has two sets available as of this morning. I just saw them online.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

BigguyZ

Yeah, but shipping's $75 or something like that. So just be aware that the total cost will be about $100....

I just checked, and he doesn't have any sets for "Buy it Now". The only two sets are 18 piece metric set for $50 bidding right now with 3 days left and 5 days left.

Has anyone bought from CTCToolSeller? He has a bunch of sets on there...

PaulDoug

When I have needed a size I didn't have, I have had good success making a wooden collet to fit into one of my other collets. That is what I use to drill through bullets and for turning some small finials.

Top Bottom