Beads Of Courage - Pen Turner's Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Not done yet, and not a work of art. But with a design modification for something we're are good at - PENS (speaking only for myself, where my skills at bowls/boxes is even worse than my pens!!!).

But, I like the basic concept and will go forward with this in the future.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sorry! Here's the pics

My brain got in the way of my fingers...

Oh, Ash and Purpleheart. Matching Purpleheart pen - Sierra Stylus (Exotic Blanks). I thought an older patient could use the stylus for their tablets.

This week I'll turn the lid with a matching Purpleheart nob.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

wyone

That is VERY cool. I worked on a bowl today for Beads of Courage as well. I have not decided if I like it enough to give to anyone else or not. It has a few small issues, that probably nobody would notice, well except for me. I am going to let it sit overnight, make sure it is stable after the turning and then decide.

I asked for a couple beads from our favorite supplier, and received 6, so it seems like I need to get my skills and time arranged to complete the project of love. :) :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have not decided if I like it enough to give to anyone else or not. It has a few small issues, that probably nobody would notice, well except for me.

Hi Mitch! I understand. This is probably the worst that I have done so far - I just do not like the coloring of the Ash. And no comment on the actual turning!

But... As I was told several times at my local AAW meeting:

"There are more kids wanting a bowl, than donated bowls. So if you do not donate an OK, but not exceptional bowl, it will be missed!"

So, mine is OK, not very impressive. But it will get sent, and I suspect still appreciated! Stay a perfectionist, but be realistic!

AND, be proud of what you have given to someone you will never meet!

It's all good.

wyone

Thank you for your words of wisdom Mark. I really want to see how the bowl looks in the light of day tomorrow, and if it looks OK, I will figure out a finial that I can put on to hold the BOC . I know this is such a great cause and I am determined to give back this small thing to as many as I can.

I have to figure out the best finish to apply as well. I turned a spalted maple so thinking I need more of something to protect than to highlight. I will take a picture or two when I am done.

I really like the bowl and know I am being my worst critic, but that is how I get better.

Top Bottom