Basic Segmentation Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

After making my 12 segment sled for cutting segments and a big 18" donut chuck for the lathe a couple days ago , both of which I showed in another discussion , I decided to try them both out .
Cut and glued up the pieces for this very basic segmented vessel yesterday and turned it this morning after the glue was cured. I found out that . . . Hey . . . this is fun. Will have to try to gradually get more advanced with it now.

383859193.jpg

383858938.jpg

Here is a shot of turning the foot in the donut chuck

SegmentEndTurning.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very impressive!!! Certainly doesn't look basic to me either. The precision of the joints looks perfect. Very well done.

jttheclockman

Looks good.

Not sure but you might want to check with an experienced segmenter about the stability and strength of the checkered segments. They maybe should be staggered.

W.Y.

Looks good.

Not sure but you might want to check with an experienced segmenter about the stability and strength of the checkered segments. They maybe should be staggered.

I checked with very experienced segmenters before ever starting . It is called a checkerboard pattern and was not intended to be staggered. It was from them that I got my information. Can't beat getting it straight from experienced segmenters. . For someone that doesn't know how that is done, the four boards were all glued together lengthwise and then the segments were cut out of that strip which is actually much stronger than a solid single grain board . Every other segment is flipped over and glued into a circle the same as any other piece of wood to give the effect shown .

To all others with you kind responses , I aploogize for my delay in getting back.
I have been very busy with questions and discussions about this particular piece on a couple other sites where I don't have to log in with every reply like I have to here.

If anyone has questions about it feel free to use my email address below because I can answer from that right away . Always glad to help whenever I can.
Happy turning to all

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I checked with very experienced segmenters before ever starting . It is called a checkerboard pattern and was not intended to be staggered. It was from them that I got my information. Can't beat getting it straight from experienced segmenters. .
Happy turning to all

Well there you go. Can't beat experience. Looks good.

W.Y.

very nicely done William, the pattern and the joints look superb. Some one was a good teacher. Have you joined the AAW segmenting group yet? http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org/.

Thanks Glenn.
Thanks for the link and I will check it out.
No I do not belong to that group . I have been a member of AAW's regular site for at least 15 years but it is just one of my "lurking" sites . It is a wonderful site but I just don't have time to participate in as many as I would like to . It is however nice to scan through messages now and again to learn and keep on top of things.
I am basically the same here because there are just not enough hours in a day . I tend to keep to the smaller sites like my own with only a couple thousand members and only about 80 to a 100 active participants . Hard to keep up actively with some of these huge sites but easy to quickly scan through and pick up on topics of interest . My own site stats shows about 100 members logged in every day and a couple hundred guests (lurkers) every day so that keeps me busy and of course my own site always comes first and left over time is for others . Nice to get a coupls hours in the shop once in a while as well :wink:
I will look into AAW's segmenting group and will have yet another site to check out . . lucky me :biggrin:

What really browns me off with this site is that I first have to log in to read or answer anything . Then I type a message and hit submit and it throws up a message telling me to log in again before it will send the message Aaarrrggggg . It is the only site on the entire internet that wont remember my settings .

Last edited:

PenMan1

William... Absolutely beautiful work!

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but just a suggestion for your logon problem (i'm sure you have already tried this, but here goes):

The next time you login, check the "remember me" button at the login screen. Then close your browser (which browser do you use?), then shut down your computer and restart it normally.

Then restart your browser, go to IAP login screen, login again and again check the "remember me" button. I was having a similar problem and I "think" this is what finally cleared it up for me. I hope it helps you as I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work.

W.Y.

William... Absolutely beautiful work!

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but just a suggestion for your logon problem (i'm sure you have already tried this, but here goes):

The next time you login, check the "remember me" button at the login screen. Then close your browser (which browser do you use?), then shut down your computer and restart it normally.

Then restart your browser, go to IAP login screen, login again and again check the "remember me" button. I was having a similar problem and I "think" this is what finally cleared it up for me. I hope it helps you as I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work.

Thanks Andy but believe me , I have tried everything possible short of deleting cookies for my entire computer and I will not do that unless I have to like in case of computer crash etc..

arjudy;
Not my own design. I used a plan to build it.
You can email me on that if you wish.

Top Bottom