Bash 11 Rules Review - Pen Blank Creation Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Pen Blank Creation Contest​

This is a contest where IAP blank makers can showcase their talents in a head to head competition with each other. The contest is open to "made" blanks of all kinds. This contest will be for the making of a single blank of specified dimensions, not a pen. This contest is about the blank, not the stuff that gets attached to your beautiful blanks to turn them into pens, so we only want to see the blank (finished as it would appear on a pen).

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

The Rules:
1) The blank must be made by you (the person entering the contest) from raw materials.

2) There are no restrictions on tools, techniques or materials. Any kind of blank qualifies as long as you made it. However, the creation of the blank must involve some other activity than just turning something round.

3) It is intended that you make a blank specifically for this contest. Your blank can not have been shown in any form (as a blank or incorporated into something else) in any way (on the web, in a catalog, at a meeting, whatever) before the contest judging is completed and winners are announced. This means you shouldn't make a blank that looks like one you've already shown somewhere. Push yourself and make something new and special for the contest.

4) IAP members who sell their blanks commercially are allowed to participate, but they should make a special blank specifically for this competition.

5) The blank [strike] must[/strike] should be finished as though it was ready to be assembled into a pen and be between 2 inches (50.8mm) and 2-1/2 inches (63.5mm) long. [strike]If you made a blank that is longer than 2, you[/strike] Longer blanks can either be cut to [strike]approximately 2 inches[/strike] size for photos or you can crop the picture to show [strike]a two inch[/strike] your desired section of the longer blank (adhering to the photo guidelines below).

6) The blank can be tubed or not. It can be solid or drilled. It should look like it is ready to be assembled into a pen (but it doesn't have to be actually ready (e.g. with a hole in it).

7) Contest entries may submitted after January 31 and before February 16 as explained below.

8) Only one blank may be submitted.​

How to enter:
1. You will need to submit [strike] four[/strike] five pictures to enter.

2. The [strike]first three[/strike] first four pictures should have the blank positioned horizontally on a plain [strike]black or white[/strike] solid color background and the pictures should be 960 pixels wide by 480 pixels tall. Rotate the blank in each of the [strike] three[/strike] four pictures so that all parts of the blank are visible in at least one of the pictures. . The blank should fill the picture as much as possible. No props are allowed. [strike]The blank must be the only thing in the picture (besides the background)[/strike]. Resizing and cropping of your photo are allowed. Adjustments to make the picture "true to life" are allowed (e.g. color balance or exposure adjustment), but should be minimal. Adjustments to hide things or make the blank look like something it is not are not allowed. If there is dust or flaws visible in the picture then (a) retake the pictures after removing the dust / fixing the flaw (real world, not photoshop flaw removal) or (b) submit as is. Contest chair reserves the right to crop / resize photos to bring them into compliance with contest guidelines. If you are cropping a photo of a longer blank to meet the [strike]2 inch[/strike] size limit, all photos must be of the same section of the blank. No picking the best section of each side of the blank to submit. Wrap tape around the blank at the ends of the area you are submitting to help you insure you take pictures of the same section of the blank in each shot. The edges of the tape should be visible in the final photo. You may only crop for length, not for diameter.

3. The [strike]fourth[/strike] fifth picture should be a group shot of the materials used to make your blank. For example, can of resin, stamps, clay canes, metal, dyes, powders. Whatever you used.[/strike]

4. All pictures should be submitted as jpg files with enough compression to keep each file size under 256KB. Email your [strike]four[/strike]five entry pictures and the required information (see below) to Bash11Blank@comcast.net. The following information is required:
a. The length and max diameter of your blank
b. An Artist / Artisan / Craftsman / Blank Maker statement (If you call yourself something else not in this list, pretend your title is in the list.). This is your chance to sell your blank to the voters (200 word limit) and should help the voters understand what you did.
c. Your IAP user name and your real name.
d. Prize winners may additionally be required to submit a mailing address for prize delivery, but this is not required with the entry.​

5. All emails submitted during the contest will be retained by me until the contest ends. After the contest is completed I will delete all emails I have received as well as the email account used for this contest. I will not retain or share email addresses with anyone.​

Judging:
1. Winners will be decided by popular vote.

2. Depending on the number of entries there may be more than one vote.

3. Pictures will be posted and voting will begin on Monday February 16.

4. Winners will be announced after Wednesday February 18.​

Prizes:
Prizes will be awarded for the top three entries.​

All dates / times mentioned are South Florida time. [strike]Please see the general Bash guidelines for all contests.[/strike] Any questions or comments? Send an email to the above address, send a PM to [strike]parklandturner[/strike] Ed McDonnell or post a reply to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed McDonnell

I will be the contest manager for the Pen Blank Creation Contest. Welcome to the contest rule review thread. The contest doesn't start for a couple of weeks, but we want to make sure everyone has a chance to look over the rules before we start the contest. Your opinion is important to us. A couple things to keep in mind as you review the rules:

Excellent advise from Jeff:

Consider the following when making your comments:
Provide constructive criticism of rules by stating specifically what's wrong and how you propose it should be changed.
Please avoid "looks great" comments. (Maybe give it a like if you think it looks good as written.)
If a rule could be better, but is ok as-is, please comment and if we can't improve the rule this year, we'll put it on the list for next year.
If you can, avoid quoting the entire first post. Snip out everything except what you're commenting on.

I would add a couple of things:

1 - Remember, we are here to have fun.
2 - This contest is about making blanks, not about making rules. We really want to know what the people who plan to enter this contest think about the rules.
3 - Everybody is entitled to have an opinion and we should respect each others opinions.
4 - No set of rules will be able to make everyone 100% happy. But we'll do the best we can.

Looking forward to the competition. PM me if you have any questions.

Ed

jttheclockman

Now i am not entering but what stands out in many of these contests and this being a new one is the fact you are allowing any tool to make the blank. As you have proven with your entries recently, someone with cnc knowledge can surpass just about anything hand made. In my opinion there needs to be catagories.

The other thing is do you really need a contest like this??? When someone takes the time and effort to make a blank he or she is going to put it into a pen and enter that into a contest.

Anyway that is the way I see it. I have been wrong all my life so that is nothing new.

Ed McDonnell

Hi John - Thanks for the input.

Do we need a contest like this? There's been blank making contests each year that I can remember. This year instead of having 3 casting contests we have one blank making contest. We've had entrants in prior years so I hope this year we will have even more entrants since we've expanded beyond just casting. You've made some superb blanks in your time. If your health allows, I hope you change your mind and submit an entry to this contest!

As to tools, the single most important tool that any IAP member has is their brain. We all have one and there is no limit to what we can do with it. A CNC is just like any other tool. It doesn't do anything on its own. It needs a human with a vision to make things happen. I've seen some incredible blanks posted on the forums that never came anywhere near a CNC. I'm optimistic that the members here are willing (I know they are able) to compete in a real challenge without arbitrary limitations.

If I were going to enter a contest (and I can't enter this one) I would want to compete in an unlimited competition for the title "Best". But that's just me.

Ed

Edward Cypher

You mention size in number 5 as : 5) The blank must be approximately 2 inches (50.8mm) long and 0.5" (12.7mm) in diameter. If you made a blank that is longer than 2, you can either cut it to approximately 2 inches for photos or you can crop the picture to show a two inch section of the longer blank (adhering to the photo guidelines below).

Yet when submitting pics you want all four sides, if it is a diameter it is round, I just do not understand how you would photograph four sides on a round blank? Please excuse if this is a dumb question.

Ed McDonnell

You mention size in number 5 as : 5) The blank must be approximately 2 inches (50.8mm) long and 0.5" (12.7mm) in diameter. If you made a blank that is longer than 2, you can either cut it to approximately 2 inches for photos or you can crop the picture to show a two inch section of the longer blank (adhering to the photo guidelines below).

Yet when submitting pics you want all four sides, if it is a diameter it is round, I just do not understand how you would photograph four sides on a round blank? Please excuse if this is a dumb question.

Hi Edward - Good question. I'll bet you are not the only one wondering. You were just the first one brave enough to ask!! Thanks!!! :)

A small invisible (hidden behind the blank) roll stopper (even a small folded wedge of paper or a toothpick would work) and tilting the surface the blank is resting on (so it rolls back on the "stopper") will allowed controlled rotation of the blank for photos. Rotate the blank roughly 90 degrees for each picture and we get to see the whole thing. It doesn't have to be exact. The intent is to prevent flaws (bubbles, bad glue line, color contamination...whatever) from "accidentally" not being visible in the judging pictures.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Great questions and comments so far. Don't be shy. If you are not sure about something, then ask. If there is something different we could do that would get you to enter this contest then post it. Maybe we can accommodate you...maybe we can't. But if you don't ask......

Ed

bobleibo

I really like this contest for two primary reasons...it shows
- what our members are capable of regardless of time turning pens and I will be the first to say that I have seen some fairly new members produce some amazing work
- what's possible if we're willing to stretch our skills and imagination. I've lost count of how many times I've tried new things that came from other peoples ideas.

If someone makes an amazing blank with a CNC machine, it might inspire me enough to save my pennies to get a CNC machine someday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entries.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I really like this contest for two primary reasons...it shows
- what our members are capable of regardless of time turning pens and I will be the first to say that I have seen some fairly new members produce some amazing work
- what's possible if we're willing to stretch our skills and imagination. I've lost count of how many times I've tried new things that came from other peoples ideas.

If someone makes an amazing blank with a CNC machine, it might inspire me enough to save my pennies to get a CNC machine someday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the entries.

Just had to make note of this. If none of the pens Ed has shown us has not gotten your juices flowing regarding CNC machines then not sure what will.:) There are a few others here that do outstanding work with them. In the right hands the work is awe inspiring for sure.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Hi John - Thanks for the input.

Do we need a contest like this? There's been blank making contests each year that I can remember. This year instead of having 3 casting contests we have one blank making contest. We've had entrants in prior years so I hope this year we will have even more entrants since we've expanded beyond just casting. You've made some superb blanks in your time. If your health allows, I hope you change your mind and submit an entry to this contest!

As to tools, the single most important tool that any IAP member has is their brain. We all have one and there is no limit to what we can do with it. A CNC is just like any other tool. It doesn't do anything on its own. It needs a human with a vision to make things happen. I've seen some incredible blanks posted on the forums that never came anywhere near a CNC. I'm optimistic that the members here are willing (I know they are able) to compete in a real challenge without arbitrary limitations.

If I were going to enter a contest (and I can't enter this one) I would want to compete in an unlimited competition for the title "Best". But that's just me.

Ed

Ed

Good points. I was not here last year so do not know what was done or not and I guess I could go back and look. But I was always under the impression that any blanks made were put on kits and not shown as stand-alones. Excuse me if i am wrong. I say this because some blanks look better as a complete unit and some blanks require 2 parts and a 2" canvas may not be enough. Like i said i will have no stake in it so whatever the objective is will be and I am sure there will be some outstanding entries.

As far as the CNC as a tool, again it is a tool that not many can even touch, let alone work. This gets brought up all the time in the pen contests and that is why it gets spelled out as to either have a separate catagory or not allowed. Just to even the playing field. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in there.

You do bring up a good point about competing against the best of the best. That is where I want to be.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Ed

Good points. I was not here last year so do not know what was done or not and I guess I could go back and look. But I was always under the impression that any blanks made were put on kits and not shown as stand-alones. Excuse me if i am wrong. I say this because some blanks look better as a complete unit and some blanks require 2 parts and a 2" canvas may not be enough. Like i said i will have no stake in it so whatever the objective is will be and I am sure there will be some outstanding entries.

As far as the CNC as a tool, again it is a tool that not many can even touch, let alone work. This gets brought up all the time in the pen contests and that is why it gets spelled out as to either have a separate catagory or not allowed. Just to even the playing field. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in there.

You do bring up a good point about competing against the best of the best. That is where I want to be.

Hi John - It's a tough call. In the past it WAS always blanks on a pen. We've had suggestions in the past that the choice of kit can greatly influence voting even when people are just supposed to be looking at the blank. Not everyone can afford a $50 or $100+ kit. So the decision to just show blanks for the blank contest was an attempt to level the playing field.

As far as the single 2" blank limit is concerned. Here's my thinking. We are photo judging and there are limits to what can be shown in a photo that is limited to 962 pixels wide. If we did expand it to capped (2 piece) blanks sets, we would have to consider expanding it to include the finials and section bits as well. With real world hands on judging, no problem. But having a single blank photo shown in great detail next to a 2 or 5 pieces in a single photo at a much lower level of detail is probably a disadvantage to somebody (not sure who though).

I do not know of a blank maker that doesn't make blanks for single tube pens. It seemed to me that limiting it to one blank was a better fit with photo judging and nobody would be excluded.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I'm thinking we might need a new rule. How about this:

If you make three or more posts to a contest rule review thread you have to enter the contest.

That sounds like a good rule to me!!!

Ed

Start working on that blank John!!!!:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Very good Ed. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanations. Hope there are some outstanding blanks that show up. You did have it right when you basically said the mind is the limit. I tried many times to get that point across. The next fresh idea is right around the corner and just needs to be unlocked. Will keep an eye on this contest. Good luck and good luck to all entries.

HE HE I just read your last post. I was typing while you posted that. I wish oh how I wish I could. Hopefully it will be soon. I am signing off now.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Very good Ed. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanations. Hope there are some outstanding blanks that show up. You did have it right when you basically said the mind is the limit. I tried many times to get that point across. The next fresh idea is right around the corner and just needs to be unlocked. Will keep an eye on this contest. Good luck and good luck to all entries.

John - Make sure you see the newest rule right above your post. I'm looking forward to your entry!!!

Ed

Darn. Now you were typing while I was typing. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to get back out to the shop in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Brooks803

2) There are no restrictions on tools, techniques or materials. Any kind of blank qualifies as long as you made it. However, the creation of the blank must involve some other activity than just turning something round.

Ed, can you elaborate more on this section of the rule? I'm assuming it means that color casts are out since those are only turned round.

My only complaint would be that it's OK to crop to decrease the length, but not the diameter. IMO there shouldn't be any allowance here. If one of the main points to the contest is to have everyone make the same sized blank then that should be the only way it's acceptable. At +/- 2" and let that be it.

Curly

Ed, can you elaborate more on this section of the rule? I'm assuming it means that color casts are out since those are only turned round.

I don't take it that way at all. I read that to mean not to take a piece of wood, plastic, rock or some other material and not do anything further. Colour casting, segmenting, imbedded casting, hand or CNC carving, stabilization with added colours and resin filling, or any other manipulation all count as blank making to me.

Ed McDonnell

I don't take it that way at all. I read that to mean not to take a piece of wood, plastic, rock or some other material and not do anything further. Colour casting, segmenting, imbedded casting, hand or CNC carving, stabilization with added colours and resin filling, or any other manipulation all count as blank making to me.

Pete has it. There is a lot of other stuff going on in creating a color cast if you cast it yourself. Definitely qualifies. If someone were to buy a brooks blank and submit it, that wouldn't fly because all they would be doing is turning a brooks blank round.

As another example. I've seen some gorgeous stone blanks posted. But if all the maker did was take a single piece of stone and turn it round it would not count for this contest. However, if they took two different kinds of stone and glued up a segmented stone blank, or stuck some metal in there...that's what we are looking for.

So, buying a brooks blank and turning it round would not count. Making a brooks blank (or a knock off if you are not JB) counts. Buying a dozen brooks blank cutting them up and gluing them into a single blank (using more than one of them) would count.

As long as you've done something to "make" the blank before you turn it round you should be good to go. Sound right?

Ed

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

My only complaint would be that it's OK to crop to decrease the length, but not the diameter. IMO there shouldn't be any allowance here. If one of the main points to the contest is to have everyone make the same sized blank then that should be the only way it's acceptable. At +/- 2" and let that be it.

Hi Jonathon - What kind of diameter are you thinking? We are talking pen blanks, so bottle stopper blanks would be way too thick.

The objective of the size restrictions is to try and get each blank photo to show the blank at the same level of detail so they can easily be compared for the voting. I picked the limits because they are in the range of 1 tube blanks. We can certainly rethink the size limits, but if there is too much variation in the sizes of the items photographed, it will start to make the voting more difficult.

The other problem I see with cropping the diameter is that we want to see a full 360 of the blank. If you crop the diameter that means that you won't be able to show a full 360 of the same part of the blank.

Anyway, if you give a little more detail (here or by PM if you don't want to give something away before the contest) maybe we can find a way to get you happy again.

Ed

Edit - Another thought. A reason the length cropping was added was to address the case where someone makes a long blank that they ultimately want to use to make a pen that wouldn't use a 2" chunk. Cutting 2" out of that blank may mean it is useless for the pen they ultimately envision. So, cropping was the idea to allow them to participate without having to scrap what could possibly be a lot of work.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Pete has it. There is a lot of other stuff going on in creating a color cast if you cast it yourself. Definitely qualifies. If someone were to buy a brooks blank and submit it, that wouldn't fly because all they would be doing is turning a brooks blank round.

As another example. I've seen some gorgeous stone blanks posted. But if all the maker did was take a single piece of stone and turn it round it would not count for this contest. However, if they took two different kinds of stone and glued up a segmented stone blank, or stuck some metal in there...that's what we are looking for.

So, buying a brooks blank and turning it round would not count. Making a brooks blank (or a knock off if you are not JB) counts. Buying a dozen brooks blank cutting them up and gluing them into a single blank (using more than one of them) would count.

As long as you've done something to "make" the blank before you turn it round you should be good to go. Sound right?

Ed

Thanks Ed for the explanation. I tend to take things very literal so I wanted to ask to make sure. The part I put in red sums it up perfectly for me.

Hi Jonathon - What kind of diameter are you thinking? We are talking pen blanks, so bottle stopper blanks would be way too thick.

The objective of the size restrictions is to try and get each blank photo to show the blank at the same level of detail so they can easily be compared for the voting. I picked the limits because they are in the range of 1 tube blanks. We can certainly rethink the size limits, but if there is too much variation in the sizes of the items photographed, it will start to make the voting more difficult.

The other problem I see with cropping the diameter is that we want to see a full 360 of the blank. If you crop the diameter that means that you won't be able to show a full 360 of the same part of the blank.

Anyway, if you give a little more detail (here or by PM if you don't want to give something away before the contest) maybe we can find a way to get you happy again.

Ed

Edit - Another thought. A reason the length cropping was added was to address the case where someone makes a long blank that they ultimately want to use to make a pen that wouldn't use a 2" chunk. Cutting 2" out of that blank may mean it is useless for the pen they ultimately envision. So, cropping was the idea to allow them to participate without having to scrap what could possibly be a lot of work.

Thanks again Ed for the explanations. I actually like your 1/2" diameter scale. I wouldn't change that at all.

All I was meaning is that I would like there to be no flexibility in either dimension. Instead of someone potentially ruining a long blank to suffice the 2" requirement they just need to build a 2" blank type of thing. I can think of ways that by making a longer blank it would make things much easier to do than if I were to make the same thing at the 2" length.

Ed McDonnell

Thanks again Ed for the explanations. I actually like your 1/2" diameter scale. I wouldn't change that at all.

All I was meaning is that I would like there to be no flexibility in either dimension. Instead of someone potentially ruining a long blank to suffice the 2" requirement they just need to build a 2" blank type of thing. I can think of ways that by making a longer blank it would make things much easier to do than if I were to make the same thing at the 2" length.

I don't see a problem with making things easier by making a longer blank to get that beautiful 2+- inch section. :)

I'm trying to be as inclusive here as possible. So thinking about all the possible types of blanks that can be made, it seemed we might be excluding some very talented makers if we insisted that the blank be "made" to a specific length (as opposed to reduced physically or digitally). We might also be making things unreasonably difficult for some makers and they might get discouraged. If someone makes a longer blank by whatever means and wants to show the prettiest +- two inches that's fine. Whether they cut it or just crop the photo to show the required length doesn't really change the end result. If someone else wants (or needs) to build to 2+- inches, that's ok as well.

The thing I'm reconsidering at the moment is how approximate "approximately" should be. If someone is creating blanks that are 2-1/4" for a specific pen kit, I think that is approximately close enough to 2. I want to try and keep things uniform for the photo voting, but I don't want to make it so restrictive that we loose potential competitors.

Nobody is going to get rich off the prizes for this contest. It's all about having some fun and challenging ourselves, so I'm going to tend to err on the side of being more inclusive because, as they say, the more the merrier.

Ed

Brian G

I'd like to see the length limit bumped up to 2.5". I looked through the tube lengths in the library, and 2" leaves very few options for single tube kits. Even most Sierra styles wouldn't be an option. A length of 2.5" would accomodate more varieties of single tube kits, and even one of the two barrels in a two barrel kit.

I understand that cropping a longer blank to a uniform 2" would correct for that, but couldn't it obscure (because of cropping) the ends of the blank? That, to me, is a critical element of a quality blank.

Just a thought. I plan to participate either way, and it's going to be soemthing I have yet to attempt.

Thanks for running the contest, Ed.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I'd like to see the length limit bumped up to 2.5". I looked through the tube lengths in the library, and 2" leaves very few options for single tube kits. Even most Sierra styles wouldn't be an option. A length of 2.5" would accomodate more varieties of single tube kits, and even one of the two barrels in a two barrel kit.

I understand that cropping a longer blank to a uniform 2" would correct for that, but couldn't it obscure (because of cropping) the ends of the blank? That, to me, is a critical element of a quality blank.

Just a thought. I plan to participate either way, and it's going to be soemthing I have yet to attempt.

Thanks for running the contest, Ed.

Hi Brian - Today I'm going to post a test poll with pictures of blanks at different lengths and see if there is a length range that would give blank makers the greatest latitude without compromising the ability of voters to actually compare blanks using pictures.

The ends of the blank will be more "important" in some types of blanks than in others. The ends of a solid resin rod won't be a potential problem area like they are in label casts and such. If we get the length range right, then cropping won't be an issue for the blank types it would likely be used on. At least, that's what I'm thinking right now.

Glad you are going to enter the contest. I'm looking forward to seeing your entry.

Ed

SDB777

Is this a "Casting Contest" only?

Any blanks turned round pretty much means someone with a "stamp blank" will be competing against a "$100 Turkish Walnut blank with a piece of Turquois shoved in it".

Would have suggested stamps against stamps, and casting against casting.....I'll be watching this year now. Good luck all!

Scott (oh well....) B

Ed McDonnell

Is this a "Casting Contest" only?

Any blanks turned round pretty much means someone with a "stamp blank" will be competing against a "$100 Turkish Walnut blank with a piece of Turquois shoved in it".

Would have suggested stamps against stamps, and casting against casting.....I'll be watching this year now. Good luck all!

Scott (oh well....) B

Hi Scott - It's a blank making contest. Casting is just one way of making a blank. There are lots of other ways and all are welcome.

Personally, I would vote for a nicely done stamp blank over a piece of wood with turquoise shoved in it any day. But it's up to the voters and hopefully they will value the artistic input of the maker over the value of the materials used to make. I'm confident that they will. A wood blank with a well done very artistic stone inlay could be a real contender.

It's my hope that this contest will push IAP members to challenge themselves to take their art to a whole new level. Anyone who does that is a winner, whether they ultimately get a prize here or not. So, don't let the fact that it is a truly open competition keep you from competing. Challenge yourself and bring the best of what you are comfortable doing or even better something completely new to the competition.

I hope you change your mind and decide to compete.

Ed

Brian G

Thank you for the response, Ed. I don't have a stong opinion either way. Just an opinion. :)

That parklandturner guy ran a good contest last time. I hope this Ed McDonnell dude can meet the high standard.

Ed McDonnell

Don't worry. He told me everything and I got all his tools before he left. :)

With him out of the way it should be even more fun this year. :eek:

Back to the contest....

I'm still playing with photos trying to get the best compromise between blank size range and making sure the photos will be comparable for voting. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

No that Ed is here do we get free hamburgers? Its Mcdonald right?

I used to say "It's like the airplane, NOT the hamburger". But McDonnell Douglass bit the dust.

For a while I could say "It's like the Governor of Virginia". But he's on the fast train to the slammer so I don't mention that anymore.

A long time ago I could say "It's like the US Navy Frigate". But she was turned into razor blades a while back.

So, call me whatever you want. Just don't call me late for dinner and don't invite me to eat at that place you mentioned that spelled my name wrong.....and don't get me started on the song....I hate that song....I might have been a farmer if not for that song.....

Back to the contest.

Still working on pictures......

Ed McDonnell

Here's the deal:

I think we might be able to change the length requirement from "approximately 2 inches" to "between 2 inches (5.1cm) and 2.5 inches (6.4cm)" without too adversely affecting the pictures for voting. Here's some sample pictures using chunks I dug out of my junk box:

Blank = 2.5" long. Picture is 960 x 480 pixels.

View in Gallery

Blank = 2" long. Picture is 960 x 480 with blank taking up 80% (=2/2.5) of the length of the picture.

View in Gallery

Blank = 2" long. Picture is 768 x 384. It was resized to theoretically look to scale on the screen.

View in Gallery

The thumbnail for the 2nd blank displays appropriately scaled, compared to the first blank. This would be the best solution, but I am afraid that getting things correctly sized may be beyond the ability of many of the members.

Because of forum sizing of thumbnails, the 3rd picture looks larger than life (slightly enlarged) compared to the first picture. But I don't think it is enough to be enough of an issue to not allow the blanks to range from 2 - 2.5". And when you use the magnifier or view in gallery, the comparative sizes between the thumbnails won't really matter.

So, my proposal is to change the length restriction from "approximately 2 inches" to "between 2 and 2.5 inches". What do you think?

Unless someone can convince me to stay with "approximately 2 inches" I will draft a new rule tomorrow.

Brooks803

Ed is this a 1/2" blank or full sized? Just asking bc I thought in we had to show the top and bottom of the blank...as well as the ends (meaning some of the background will be shown).

Might as well let it go between 2-2.5"

I'm glad I'm not running this contest!

Ed McDonnell

Ed is this a 1/2" blank or full sized? Just asking bc I thought in we had to show the top and bottom of the blank...as well as the ends (meaning some of the background will be shown).

Hi Jonathon - They were two half inch round blanks. Since I was only testing out comparative sizes of photos in that post, I didn't bother to show all four sides of the two blanks (that would have been 12 photos and it's confusing enough already!!). I think I will need to put together a sample entry for two or three different blank types to clarify things. But let me see if I can explain.

The idea is to have the photos show the members as much as they would see if they could pick up the blank and rotate in their hands to see the entire outside (what would be visible on a pen). The actual ends of the blanks (the flat side perpendicular to the length that would typically have a hole in it) don't need to be shown (you wouldn't see them on a pen anyway). The four photos requested would be of the blank rotated around the long axis (length). Since the blanks are round, there won't be any sides, but we want to let the voters see the full 360 of the blank. So four pictures with the blank rotated 90 degrees (or close) around the long axis (like you were rolling the blank on the table) should do that.

Did that make it clearer or more murky. If more murky, I'll put up some sample entries tomorrow.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Hi Jonathon - They were two half inch round blanks. Since I was only testing out comparative sizes of photos in that post, I didn't bother to show all four sides of the two blanks (that would have been 12 photos and it's confusing enough already!!). I think I will need to put together a sample entry for two or three different blank types to clarify things. But let me see if I can explain.

The idea is to have the photos show the members as much as they would see if they could pick up the blank and rotate in their hands to see the entire outside (what would be visible on a pen). The actual ends of the blanks (the flat side perpendicular to the length that would typically have a hole in it) don't need to be shown (you wouldn't see them on a pen anyway). The four photos requested would be of the blank rotated around the long axis (length). Since the blanks are round, there won't be any sides, but we want to let the voters see the full 360 of the blank. So four pictures with the blank rotated 90 degrees (or close) around the long axis (like you were rolling the blank on the table) should do that.

Did that make it clearer or more murky. If more murky, I'll put up some sample entries tomorrow.

Not so murky Ed. I actually get what you're after. I'm asking questions to help others who might not quite get it.

About the ends of the blanks...I didn't mean to show the end itself but to have the ends of the blank visible like this:

Ed McDonnell

Let's say you have a blank that is 2" long. It could be a segmented blank, a tube on casting (e.g. label, watch parts, painting), a poly clay blank or whatever. If we were to only submit one picture, I could find a side of this thing that didn't look too bad. But by having to show the full 360, the voter get a full appreciation of what I've got.

Obviously there is more than one problem with this blank and the voters would clearly see them all. I cropped the pictures so that the blank filled the full length of the picture.

Attachments

• Sample1A.jpg
    Sample1A.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sample1B.jpg
    Sample1B.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Sample1C.jpg
    Sample1C.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Sample1D.jpg
    Sample1D.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 88

Ed McDonnell

Let's say you cast a 10" long rod of something. You want to enter a 2.5" section of the rod in this contest without having to cut your rod. You can take a picture of the rod and then crop to show just the part being entered (having a ruler in the picture that you will crop out later helps). Here's a sample with a color cast where you might feel some sides are better than others. As a voter you would be able to judge the entire blank.

Attachments

• Sample2A.jpg
    Sample2A.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Sample2B.jpg
    Sample2B.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Sample2C.jpg
    Sample2C.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Sample2D.jpg
    Sample2D.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 94

Curly

Ed the only possible problem with a cropped section of a much longer rod that I see would be that each of the 4 veiws might be from a different part of the length of the longer rod to show of the best areas. Say from .5" to 3.0", 1.25" to 3.75", 4.0" to 6.5", and 6.75" to 9.25". Hopefully no one would stoop that low but.... Someone with a tube in blank can't get away with such shenanigans.

I won't be entering but will vote.

Ed McDonnell

Ed the only possible problem with a cropped section of a much longer rod that I see would be that each of the 4 veiws might be from a different part of the length of the longer rod to show of the best areas. Say from .5" to 3.0", 1.25" to 3.75", 4.0" to 6.5", and 6.75" to 9.25". Hopefully no one would stoop that low but.... Someone with a tube in blank can't get away with such shenanigans.

I won't be entering but will vote.

Hi Pete - Hopefully you know someone who will be entering. :wink:

Photo judging is tough. We largely have to rely on the honesty of the members. I had included the following in the rules:

If you are cropping a photo of a longer blank...all photos must be of the same section of the blank. No picking the best section of each side of the blank to submit.

The reality is we have no way to check. With four pictures it might be obvious that something isn't right if they cheat, but maybe not. we can't stop photoshop enhancement either.

Hopefully the prizes are not significant enough to tempt anybody to cheat.

Not to create problems for myself, but even with tubed blanks you have to rely on honesty. It wouldn't be much of a problem to make a handful of the same tubed blank and then shoot pictures of the best side of each one.

I'm an optimist. I think blank makers are basically honest. Maybe there's something I can add to the rules to reduce the chance of what you identified "accidentally" happening.

Top Bottom