Baseball bat pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Should work. I would use the kit with the smallest diameter tubes. Might check out the cigar fountain pen or one from the Americana styles. Turn some bats once you pick a kit and tune in the lengths and diameters that look good to you. Then make it fit the kit you choose. Doing this exact same thing has been on my to do list for several months. Shall we do "dueling bat pens?"
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I'm looking for a kit to modify into a baseball bat pen.

I've never made this kit before. Can you see any reason that my quest to turn this into a double closed end baseball bat pen wouldn't work?

Artisan Signature Rollerball Pen Kit | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

flyitfast

Don and Dan
I enjoyed making a bat according the instructions in Don's book and web site. It was fairly easy using the Modified Slimline directions. It used a 7mm and 8mm tube along with the slimline transmission and nib.
Sorry no pictures - the ones I made were gone before I had a chance to photo them - neighborhood kids.
I'll have to make one and get a picture.
I used the 7-8 mm closed end mandrel from PSI and it worked great.
I did a club demo on modified slimlines and used the bat as a fun modification.
I'll be anxious to see your dueling bats!!
gordon

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I use slimlines to turn base ball pens. Here's some from a few years ago I turned when my grand daughter and two friends got moved up to varsity softball.

Attachments

• bbats.jpg
    bbats.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 266

its_virgil

I think Dan is wanting to make either a fountain pen or rollerball using a kit with a cap such as a baron or junior gent. I've been thinking about this for several months but Dan beat me to it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

flyitfast

I guess I saw a bunny while I was reading Dan's comment!!!
I agree a double closed end would make a neat capped pen. Would be a little fatter than the modified slimline. I like your suggestion for turning the wood to fit an Americana kit - should have tubes thin enough.
I like the idea and now I have to try one too!!
Thanks for the discussion.
gordon

I think Dan is wanting to make either a fountain pen or rollerball using a kit with a cap such as a baron or junior gent. I've been thinking about this for several months but Dan beat me to it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dan Masshardt

I would do a ballpoint but I don't want the ink nib sticking out the bottom. Just not the style I'm looking for.

I want to make these for nice gifts that go beyond what might be perceived as novelty.

I just don't know how the sizing will work out. Might be too big of a bat? We'll see.

Dan maybe your approach would be to turn a bat styled pen like the closed end pens they turn as cigar pens, a baron or triton would work, My local college is headed to Omaha so I think I will join you guys in making a baseball bat pen.

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
You can buy a baseball kit from Rheising I think thats the spelling :) kits are cheap ,but not the postage as it's all courier delivery. These kits have a 6 mm tube and take a full size cross type refill , I have made quite a few of these as novelty pens , I finished one yesterday made into a golf club ,not my best work but customer liked it hehe, I'd put a link for the kits ,but you have to sign up as a member of the site to get access (Free hehe) , but here's some pretty ordinary pics of the finished product , the grip part pulls off ,and the nib unscrews to change the refill :) cheers ~ John

Attachments

• golf 1.jpg
    golf 1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 104
  • golf 2.jpg
    golf 2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 97
  • golf 3.jpg
    golf 3.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 122

lwalper

Odd, I was just thinking of doing a baseball bat too. My only concern was getting the right dimensions. Using a 7mm tube in the handle section makes a 9 inch bat - if it is proportional to commonly used MLB bats. It seems that a 5.5 inch slimline will look kinda fat? That 6mm brass would help some. I'm not finding anything with that ??spelling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom