Barrel Trimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

I'm kinda mad at all of you turners out there.:( How come nobody ever said what a joy it is to use a barrel trimmer, as opposed to a disk sander, or whatever else people are using.
I went to WoodCraft today to see if they had the 7 pc. barrel trimmer set that I had heard about. They had 1 on the shelf. When I got to the counter, I was told that I had a birthday this month (kinda funny, cuz my drivers license says it's in May). I got 10% off.
When I got home, I just had to try my new toy. Man was that easy. Now I can make antler pens, and corn cobs without the unsightly gaps I've had in the past.

I'm not really mad;), I just thought it sounded good.

I love this forum...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just be sure to keep it clean and to sharpen it from time to time. That mane make a world of difference in the way it cuts.

wayneis

If you had the right jig and had it lined up square then I can't figure out you had any gaps using a disk sander. All I've used for over a year now is my disk sander to square my blanks and I would be hard pressed to think that I would ever go back to the old fashion barrel trimmer method. But maybe thats just me.

Wayne

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Wayne-
I can see the benifit of a sander versus the trimmer,here's the but.
I don't, no I can't consider my $100.00 belt disc sander a precision tool.
I think you'll concede the fact that I strive for accuracy in my work, but there are just too many variables to consider a disc sander an accurate tool.
If glad it works for you and maybe I will be able to afford one that meets my standards.
Mine is great great for scuffing tubes though.
I wouldn't be without it.
Happiness is a sharp tool

woodwish

I use and love my barrel trimmer, much easier for me than any other method I tried previously. One story, I was doing a pen-turning demo for my turning club last year and used thick CA to glue in the tubes. Moved on to the next step and picked back up the same blank instead of one I had prepared the day before. I evidently got some glue on the inside of the tube and then started using the barrel trimmer on a small drill press. The heat from the friction hardened the CA and locked the trimmer to the tube. Finally got it off but destroyed the tube, and in the long run would have been easier and cheaper to just buy a new barrel trimmer. That's what I get for acting like I know what I am doing sometimes [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom