Baron Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I tried assembling two Barons tonight...Both messed up in exactly the same way...so I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what..

The coupler on the long blanks attach to the trim ring, and are pressed into the long blank. The first one goes in fine, but when I try to do the second one, the trim ring stays where it is, and the coupler gets pushed in too far...

I cleaned the inside of the tubes out really well, and had the other end that had already been press-fit put in a hole so that the arbor press wouldn't damage that end...but still the same problem.

I thought it might ahve been a bit of CA glue residue on teh first, so I made triple sure on the second one, and the same thing happened!

First - does anyone have any guesses as to the cause of this problem. Second - What's a quick, easy way to get that trim ring out...is there anywhere that sells the chrome trim rings and couplers by themselves? (I'll likely mangle them as I try to remove them)

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

That is the toughest part of assembling a Baron. I've had pretty good luck pressing them both in at the same time. If I do have problems, I have a push block that fit snug around the assembly already pressed in and then press the other side in.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by toolcrazy

That is the toughest part of assembling a Baron. I've had pretty good luck pressing them both in at the same time. If I do have problems, I have a push block that fit snug around the assembly already pressed in and then press the other side in.

I had that problem on my last baron but did as TC said above. It turned out nice, but it sure seemed like the nib end was about to go too far in before I made a push block.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29111&SearchTerms=Stripes

Tea Clipper

Drill a hole in a scrap piece of wood that is big enough for the threads of the coupler to pass through, but small enough so the rest of the coupler/body doesn't. This allows you to press the other coupler in w/o putting any pressure on the first coupler.

DocStram

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Try reading the directions instead of listening to us!! :D:D

See Cav? You say stuff like that and even I can't help you out. OK, everybody .... let's try this ..... let's think of Cav as someone being in need of a little Dr. Phil love. Cav's inner child is crying out for understanding. ;);)

clewless

To remove the coupling, use a small triangular file and cut a slot down its length, then use a pair of pliers to fold in the end and it will slide out easily...DAHIKT [}:)]

Spares are had by making a few closed end Barons or begging couplings from those who have.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nice Kristofferson reference, William. [8D] "...a pilgrim and a preacher and a problem when he's stoned. He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction, taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home."

Chasper

Champer is the word; at least I think it is, the eggnog has been flowing percepitiously this afternoon. Try reaming out the end of the tube with a dull knife or a tool actually designed for that purpose. A clean tube is needed, but if the entrance to the tube is restricted just a little the parts won't slide in right.

I tore up a few kits myself trying to force them in.

Top Bottom