Baron/Jr. Gent II/Navagator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBeck

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the Baron from Arizona Silhouette, the Jr. Gent from CSUSA and the Navigator from Woodcraft. Are they all the exact same pen, same plating's, etc. and are the bushings/drill sizes interchangeable, and are the kits the same quality from each dealer. Thanks.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Plus the Jr. gent's exposed threads are metal and plated except the 10K gold, the Baron and the Navagators are black derlin and the nib on the rollerball is smooth on the Jr. gent.

leestoresund

If you look on the right side of the Home Page you will see a link to a chart that lists all of the pens and their sized tubes and bushings.

That and the drill size chart are two of the best ideas around.

It won't tell you what the design differences are.

Lee

jbeyer

I was looking at that chart and was wondering if the Direction that the grain pattern would be goes from D->E->J->K.

Jonathan

JBeck

Thanks for the reply's. I appreciate it. From outward appearance the Jr Gent look almost identical so I wasn't sure. Thanks again.

JBeck

Is there a certain kit between the Baron and the Jr Gent that people prefer? Does one sell better than the other? Thanks.

lwalden

I prefer the Jr Gent for 5 reasons. The tubes can be used on the (1)Jr Gent (vII), (2)the Jr Gent Retro, (3) the Jr Statesman (vII), (4) the Jr Emperor, and even (5) the Jr Majestic by Penn State Industries (the other four are primarily carried by CSUSA, though several other vendors carry some platings). The Jr Gent, Jr Retro, and Jr Statesman all use the same bushings, so it's possible to tube a blank up, rough turn it to size, and have a better idea of how the final blanks will look before finalizing which trim kit to pair it up with.

jskeen

I have found the quality on the Jr's superior to the baron/navigator in several areas, most importantly the threaded inserts. The blackened brass on the baron is softer than the plated metal of the jr's and can deform when pressed in. The cap finial on the gent sits down into a recess, where the top of the baron is flat, and the sides of the cap are angled in less on the gent. the recess makes it easier to replace with a custom finial and the smaller angle makes it possible to more closely match the curve of the blank to the cap on the jr. gent.
However the baron is easier to replace the center band on, as it is not pressed on, and it's slightly smaller size is a plus for some people.

DurocShark

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56363&highlight=navigator

ssnav05.jpg

Top Bottom