Banded Soapstone Sierra Elegant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RodNeep

RodNeep

A glorious piece of banded soapstone on a Sierra Elegant TiGold & Black Titanium.
A wonder of nature.

If I never make another pen, then I think that I will be satisfied. :wink:

0455-soudleygbt-steatite1.jpg

0455-soudleygbt-steatite2.jpg

0455-soudleygbt-steatite3.jpg

Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Sweet. That is a great looking pen. I gotta try some of that soap stone one of these days. I hope it comes out as nice as yours.

RodNeep

I like it !! Where do you get soapstone blanks?

They came from a friend in Kenya. There is a little local mine (think small hole) in his village. The locals make tourist trinkets, sculptures and turned chess sets to support themselves.

I just had an idea to ask him to send me 20 pieces cut to size, specifying that they should have some colour to them. It is certainly harder stuff than normal soapstone. It can't be scratched with a fingernail. It drills and turns beautifully though, with no problems, and I have now sorted out a method that makes it almost as quick as doing an acrylic.

This is one of a different colour... grey flame pattern! Goes with the Vertex pen.
steatite2-07.jpg

Cheers
Rod

Old Lar

Those are very nice pens. I have been making pen using stone lately for a collector and those are very different from the 3 soapstones I have used. The soapstone I am using needs a CA finish to keep from scratching. Once again, very nice work on very nice pens.

seamus7227

I like the grey flames soap stone! What a fantastic match it has with that kit! You should sell the blanks in the classifieds! The grey flames mimics M3 Damascus or Mokume blanks

PaulDoug

I've worked some with soap stone and really enjoy it, but I got to say that is some of the prettiest soap stone I have seen. If you can get some bigger chunks, it make beautiful shaving sets and small bowls and boxes. Goes good with different woods as accents on bowls and boxes also.

Very nice work you are doing.

Top Bottom