Band Saw Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LL Woodworks

LL Woodworks

These are great fun for a change of pace from furniture making and pen making. The taller is made from some very old mesquite wood; it took a lot of sanding, epoxy, filler and more sanding to fill some of the character is this board, thus allowing its transformation into this box; and the shorter one is made of cherry. The drawer handles are figured maple.

Attachments

• tn_CER_2557.JPG
    tn_CER_2557.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 465
  • tn_zCER_2549.JPG
    tn_zCER_2549.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 799
  • tn_CER_2577.JPG
    tn_CER_2577.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,916
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

Do you have a picture of the inside of one of the drawers? I'm curious about how the drawers are made while preserving the drawer face.

LL Woodworks

Do you have a picture of the inside of one of the drawers? I'm curious about how the drawers are made while preserving the drawer face.

I'll post one later - but the front and back are actually cut off (1/4" to 1/2" thick depending on design and preference) the drawer's inside is then cut out with a band saw, the front and back are then re-attached to the drawer (after the drawer inside has been sanded).

dbledsoe

I'll post one later - but the front and back are actually cut off (1/4" to 1/2" thick depending on design and preference) the drawer's inside is then cut out with a band saw, the front and back are then re-attached to the drawer (after the drawer inside has been sanded).

Makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot. Something new to try.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking boxes, someday I'll give this a try. Too many projects, too little time.

plantman

I always liked making boxes, your not limited by design or function, and can flow with the wood itself. Very impressive pieces !!! Jim S

Fishinbo

Beautiful band saw boxes! Like the shapes, choice of wood specially the handles which added a great contrast. Looking forward for more...they are quite addicting.

firewhatfire

I just this week was introduced to one of those. A lot simpler design. As soon as I get a couple new blades for my saw I am gonna make a few of those.

Nice ones

Phil

butchf18a

You have done a nice job, however when you borrow someone elses designs it is proper to give them credit. As I too have made the exact same designs I know they are not original to you.

Credit goes to: Lois Keener Ventura, "Building Beautful Boxes With Your Band Saw", ISBN 1558705228, 9781558705227
Her second b.ook "Sculpted Band Saw Boxes: Design, Inspiration & Construction", is equally outstanding.

When I sell mine, the info card that accompanies the piece describes the materials and also credits her design. If you had an original design and others "borrowed" it claiming originality you would be justifiably upset.

Top Bottom