Bamboo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kretzky

I've used laminated bamboo cutting boards before for pen blanks. I cross cut the board (about 15 degree angle) You then have to be careful drilling as the laminations are not well glued & can split. (or flood with CA)
Dont see why you can't use unlaminated as long as the wall is thick enough. I found the bamboo boards I used to be not that interesting, pretty straight grained (no pattern) even though I cross cut the board. ymmv.
Hope that helps
David

alamocdc

It can be used in it's natural state and I've made pens with it. The "knuckle" makes a nice design when turned. Just pick the size with an internal diameter as close to, but smaller than the size tube you will be using and drill it out. From there just treat it like you would any other pen blank.

Here is one such example.

Last edited:

Longfellow

It can be used in it's natural state and I've made pens with it. The "knuckle" makes a nice design when turned. Just pick the size with an internal diameter as close to, but smaller than the size tube you will be using and drill it out. From there just treat it like you would any other pen blank.

Here is one such example.

As I don't make pens but do sell blanks, what I.D. hole is needed for most tubes?

alamocdc

That is rather varied. Your best bet would be to examine the drill bit sizes required for the kits. That info is available on the web sites of the vendors providing the kits.

Top Bottom