Bamboo Stalk pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello, does anyone have pictures of a pen produced from a bamboo stalk? Does anyone know a source for the dry bamboo stalk that is thin enough/stable enough for pens?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kalai

Hi Nick, I do not know anything about bamboo or if it can be used for pens but there is a bunch of it over here, if you find out anything let me know and I will go and harvest some for you, aloha.

Kalai:)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've got gobs of bamboo stalk about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Some have the inside hole larger than others. If you want some, PM me and we can work out the details.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Monty

I've got gobs of bamboo stalk about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Some have the inside hole larger than others. If you want some, PM me and we can work out the details.

Yes, he does. And I made this from some of it.

Image Insert:
200591331657_des_bamboo.jpg

negid

I don't know if it would work, but I was at Home Depot yesterday looking around and wandered into the Gardening area. They had 5 foot bamboo poles that were about 3/4" - 1" thick for about $1.50.

PenWorks

This was made from some material purchased at pipemakers.

I think I read, you can dry and char bamboo over a gas grill.
I was going to try it, by my bud Virgil, never went into his neighbors yard to cut me some :D

20083261318_Bamboo.jpg

pipeyeti

As Anthony showed us, the stuff at pipemakers is very nice. It is a very decorative type of bamboo. In pipe making it is used for the shanks of pipes for 2 reasons first is it looks really cool and 2nd is that it is very soft on the inside and helps to adsorb moisture in the smoke to give a dryer smoke (a quality that is very desirable in a pipe). Almost forgot to add that thestuff they have listed as puple bamboo is also called black bamboo, it is a puplish to dark charcoal color with lighter colors mixed in. It is very cool. It occures naturally from what I understand.

pssherman

Originally posted by alamocdc

Originally posted by Monty

Yes, he does. And I made this from some of it.
<image removed>

And here is one that I made from a piece of Monty's bamboo.

200832616341_bamboo-brass.jpg

helgi

Found some bamboo place mats 0.5" thick at xs cargo here in canada, glued two of them together and cut to size haven'turned them yet.Maybe there could be some store in your area? IKEA etc comes to mind.
Helgi

Nickfff

All,
I am very appreciative of the many replies and perspectives-I think I have a few additional ideas now.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply:D!

Thanks,
Nick

sparhawk

Posted - Mar 08 2008 : 11:52:19 PM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Havent turned one just out of bamboo but made this one out of katalox with bammboo segments. Bought a laminated bamboo cutting board from wal-mart.Probably make about 12pens cost about $6.00.

Image Insert:
20083945057_kat%20euro1.jpg

JohnU

Walmart has bamboo cutting boards in length or cross cut sections you can cut thin strips or have glued segs any thickness you want. I got one for $9

Top Bottom