Bamboo pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

This was another experiment and now I don't know if it was worth it. The first photo shows how I prepared the pen blank. Four strips were taken from the bamboo, then beveled on the table saw and jointer, then glued together. All but one of the seams were completely invisible. The line was tight, but just a little color showed at that seam. Luckily it's under the pocket clip. If I do this again, I'll die it to get a little color.

Image Insert:
200410321530_bamboo_steps.jpg

51.15KB

Image Insert:
200410321553_bamboo_pen.jpg

23.78KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Looks like a lot of work, but you do have a unique pen. I like it natural BTW. I do have some bamboo growing the back part of my yard, I may take some and try this. Thanks for the inspration!

Ray

low_48

I always sand to 12000 with MM. On this pen I rubbed on General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Heavy Duty Oil/Urethane Top Coat, semi-gloss. I let it soak for a few seconds, then turn the lathe back on and burnish and dry with a paper towel. It is dry when you shut off the lathe. I then use Hut Crystal Coat high gloss formula for a higher shine. When the Arm-R-Seal runs out I will switch to gloss. I have been using the semi-gloss on my bowl work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom