Bamboo Fly Rod Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXPhi67

Hello all,

I'm working through an idea on making a pen using bamboo. It is in collaboration with my father who is a bamboo fly rod builder and is specifically targeted at developing a method by which he and I can make a pen that would be a match to the rod he would make. The idea is to provide that as an additional option for accessories to his rod order.

We are still working through the design and prototype phases of this, but if anyone has experience with this and would be willing to share what works and doesn't work - that would be much appreciated.

In general the idea is to have the barrel made out of the bamboo and would be dimensioned similarly to his rods (hexagon) while the cap would be from the same wood as the reel seat.

The cap is the easy part - its the barrel that is giving us fits.

Some of the issues we are trying to work thorough are as follows:
Which size pen works best? Slim line size, mid-range, or large.
Which method of assembling the barrel makes sense? Drilling through a section that is basically a portion of rod as he would assemble it for his rods? Or creating some sort of base that sections of bamboo would be laminated to?
How to transition from a hexagon to a round nib with out damaging the bamboo?

There are a few other things that we have on our "consideration list" - but those are the biggest.

Again - any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Take care,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Possibillity of turning seat blank material from a hexagon to round to match the nib used as a decorative band at the bottom, Matching piece at the top? Or made of brass if you have metal lathe capabilities. you might glue the bamboo to a tube and have it cast in clear pr or alumilite.

gmreeves

I make split cane rods as well as pens and do the same thing that you all are thinking of. I have found that slimlines work the best because as your father knows, the bigger sections for say a Euro are harder to make than the smaller slimlines. The hard part is drilling the Hex nice and straight so taht you can add the tubes. I round the hexagonal pen blank so it matches the nib. Another thing you can do is to scratch the bamboo and use up extra cork from the handle instead. Both look nice.

TXPhi67

Guys - thanks to both of you for your ideas.

Casting is not an option (per my father) as he wants to "feel" the bamboo.

We tried some slimlines and drilling - but the results were less than optimal. One of the reasons I'm thinking about the laminate idea. Dad's not keen on that as he doesn't like large pens and isn't sure the laminate would hold over time.

The focus is to "replicate" the rod in question in pen form as close to possible with out making it look like a rod (no ferrules or guides) and he doesn't like the idea of cork unless the reel seat is of cork.

Sorry to be so particular, but Dad has a very specific desire and I know better than to try and talk him of off it. :)

So any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if there is a suggestion on how to have better success around the slimline idea because if that has worked - then the idea is sound and my execution is flawed.

Thanks!

gmreeves

I'm not sure if your father has worked on any hollow building of fly rods but one option is to hollow build the pen blank/rod section so the hole is already in the blank. It would be a tuff glue up but that is how I do my bamboo ferrules. If he wants to email me, he can at maker at gmreeves dot com.

cnccutter

Sounds like your very lucky Brian to get to spend some time with Dad in the shop :)

Lamination can mean many things to different people. I work with a lot of sheet goods and I run across bamboo plywood all the time. its layed up pretty nice in a few different patterns. I've never had any troubles with drilling cutting or even gluing. would that type of material be in line with your and your dads idea? nice thing is you could count on consistency and availability.

Erik

gware

You got me real interested in this thread. I to have built bamboo rods and do quite a few repairs and restorations. I have done a few where I wrapped the bamboo using GSP (fly tying thread) with a 3" to 4" wrap and then drilled. It would work in your case by planning your bamboo, gluing up the "mini" rod, cut bamboo to length of your pen tubes then wrap the GSP as you would a guide wrap only the full length of each piece. That would allow you to drill without damage to the blank. Put the pen kit together then remove the GSP and do your finish and any real wraps that you would want. Make sure you post a picture and description of the method you use. I think it's a good idea. I have customers that would probably really like it.

Greg

TXPhi67

Sounds like your very lucky Brian to get to spend some time with Dad in the shop :)

Lamination can mean many things to different people. I work with a lot of sheet goods and I run across bamboo plywood all the time. its layed up pretty nice in a few different patterns. I've never had any troubles with drilling cutting or even gluing. would that type of material be in line with your and your dads idea? nice thing is you could count on consistency and availability.

Erik

Wish he was local so I could spend more time with him in the shop. So we try to do "remote projects" from time to time.

I've messed with the laminate bamboo like your talking about, but it's not the same. We are going for the smooth "bark" of the bamboo and no visible laminate on the barrel. The general idea is to shave a very thin piece and laminate it to a hexagon barrel of wood. Not real sure it will work, but just trying to kick through some ideas.

gware's idea of wrapping the bamboo is an interesting idea - have to mull that over a bit.

gmreeves - thanks for the PM - I sent you a reply.

Take care,

Thanks,

Top Bottom