Bakelite founder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Good evening everyone,

I'm reading "history of America in 101 Objects" from the Smithsonian. My son is a research there and was one of the authors. and editor of the book. There was six people writing this book. You can buy the book on Amazon, Kindle, or iTunes. if you want. The read has been very interesting. especially Object #43. 'The Bakerlizier Plastic Maker. "

The author said its the most important artifact in the Smithsonian that has never been exhibited.

I'm writing this to you IPA because of the interest in Bakerlite. The curator Jon Klund calls this machine the 1400 pound cast iron vessel "the birth place of polyester kingdom. [see photo]

Charles goodyear started developing the process in 1836, By 1890's a German Leo Baekeland experienced for 30+ years with phenol-formaldehydes reaction developing synthetic resins. He continued to experiment until he found that he needed a catalyst that under pressure and heat produced a new phenolic polymer- thermosetting resin. with had remarkable characteristic. The new chemical was call: polyoxybenzylmethylengglycolanhydride. For short Baekeland call it Bakelite. He produced nine pound of bakelite and was granted a US patent in 1907.

Enjoy

Attachments

• photobakelite pot .JPG
    photobakelite pot .JPG
    52 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I knew that :rolleyes::biggrin: I recall Dawn & Ed had found about as much info or, more when Dawn found the vintage blanks about 6 years ago. I got two of them.

Always room for education. Thanks for posting it.:wink:

Tom T

Bill,
Congratulations to your Son and his team of writers on the creation of what I am sure must be a very interesting book. I will look into taking it on my summer vacation and giving it a good read. This kind of stuff is really cool.

SteveG

"The new chemical was call: polyoxybenzylmethylengglycolanhydride."

Try saying that 10 times in a row, real fast. (Don't go too fast, you may fall over, or even worse, your tongue could twist up so bad that it falls out. Once out, tongues are hard to get back in.:confused: :eek:)

Top Bottom