bad finish on cocobola

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egourieux

I posted this question on the "members in need of help" forum, but I think it was the wrong place to post. Sorry, I am new to the forum. I am finishing a cocobola pen and the finish is dull in places. I sanded down to 12,000 grit and applied Mylans Friction Polish. However, the polish looks dull and streaky. This technique has served me well on hundreds of pens, but cocobola typically doesn't turn out with the glass finish I want. Any suggestions?
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

Cocobolo has a lot of oil in it. You might try cleaning it with denatured alcohol (DNA) before you apply the finish. I generaly use a CA finish and I always clean with DNA before applying the CA. It has served me well.

airrat

I agree with Les, Cocobolo is so oily some people do not even put a finish on it and just leave the natural oils to give it a shine. I prefer to use a CA finish on them as well.

SuperDave

Eric,

One technique that has worked for me in the past, is to sand to 12000MM and then simply buff at high speed using some buffing compound (white diamond, etc). The natural oils/resins and silica in the Cocobolo polish to a high shine in seconds.

I also leave the blank(s) on the mandrel to keep it from flying across the shop.

Dave

Top Bottom