Bad Day in The Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

I'm blaming it on the cold. Had several blanks glued up from before Christmas. Finally had time to spend in the shop yesterday, being it was a government holiday. Right off the bat, blank blew up soon as the tool touched it. Second and third same thing. All three were brooks blanks, reverse painted black(testors) and glued with CA. From looking at the blanks, its like the glue seperated from the paint. I've never had this problem until now, and the only thing I can come up with is the cold. It was around 50 in my shop yesterday. Anybody else having similar issues?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Focushere

Must of been something in the air. I too had three blanks glued and ready to go. Blew up the first one on the lathe. Second one turned out OK and the third one which I was being the most careful with because I had inserted aluminum rods in. (a first for me) was going just fine until a got to the very end and then it shattered. Cleaned up the shop and went inside the house. Don't have too many days like that, but when I do i have learned it's best to stop and go at it another day.

Martin G

I found out in early December that when the temp in the shop goes below about 40 degrees F I break a lot of blanks. I set up a couple of heat lamps near the lathe and that seems to have worked.
Of course today it's 70 degrees here in Austin. :)

reddwil

I got a kerosene heater in the shop, but have you bought that stuff lately,,,holy cow. Best to just wait for it to warn up some. With this Georgia weather here lately, it might be in the 80's in a day or to.

bitshird

Kent, was the 50 degrees the coldest temperature the blanks have been exposed to? Metal shrinks when cold, and brass is a good thermal conductor, but 50 degrees shouldn't cause it..
If they ever got close to freezing temps, I'd think that would be your problem, the brass contracted enough to break the bond with the CA, or the paint.

watch_art

After reading pages and pages here at IAP with many posts like this one - I've stored all my blanks in the cabinet above my stove in the kitchen. My blanks are warm when I take them out - and I only take one out at a time and only right before I turn it.

Lenny

I'm sure you are on the right track with the temperature issues, but ...

consider trying 5 min. epoxy for gluing your tubes in next time. You can even add a drop of paint to it when mixing.

Autonoz

Well I am in Arizona and the last three tries have shattered at the end. I am using medium CA and when the blank comes apart it looks like the tube was not even glued to the inside of the blank. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom