Backpainting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Lately I have been more and more curious how backpainting changes the looks of a blank. It really started with the youthful penturners contest. Do people have examples they can post here. IE did 2 of the same blanks backpainted different colors? The name of the blank, and the colors used to back paint would be appreciated.

jbswearingen

Yes, changing the back color on a translucent blank will cause DRAMATIC changes in the appearance of the blank.

I cast most of the blanks I use now, so I really don't have any names. I suggest you simply play with them to find out. There are too many variables in blank colors and paint colors for us to list even a small percentage of them.

Chasper

Painting it black or white will change the color dramatically, but why would you want to do that, unless you are backpainting a black or white blank?

I back paint to make the color more intense. If the blank is blue, then backpainting it blue will make it more intensely blue in addition to hiding the tube and glue. No matter what the color of the blank I try to use a paint color that makes the color brighter, bolder, more subtle or whatever needs to happen to show the finished turning at its best.

Top Bottom