Backgammon Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aerosupra

aerosupra

I play regularly and was tired of playing on a store-bought board...I've never veneered anything either, so I was a little intimidated, but the fellas at my local woodcraft shared their knowledge and convinced me to give it a try :)

Walnut Burl and Curly Maple veneer (each hand cut with a knife) wrapped in solid walnut and finished with satin poly (too many coats to count).

Attachments

• DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tabascocat

Ive done a few veneered table tops, and that certainly is much better than my first efforts.

Excellent choice of woods, looks like a great book match on walnut burl and the contrast with the figured maple is outstanding.

Congratulations.

tkbarron

Very nice! That walnut burl is bookmatched. Did it come that way or did you have to resaw?

When will you add the game pieces?

Tom

aerosupra

HAHA, every backgammon player that has seen it has mentioned the missing bar in the middle and the alternating colors...The design goal was to keep it simple and I agree the missing bar does involve extra attention when trying to offload pieces. I will probably add an inlay or paint a reference between positions 6 & 7 on the boarder.

I didn't want a vertical divide on the board because I like having room to roll the dice and hate picking up the stones to move them...Moreover, this was a test board to see if I had the patience and precision for veneering...the next board will most likely have alternating colors and I may add a thin piece of veneer (~1/4") between 6 & 7...

@ tkbarron
The veneers all came book-matched...no re-sawing on my part...

@ glycerine
Yes, Woodcraft in Leesburg.

Some advice they shared was to soften the veneer if it has ripples by misting the veneer with water...they sell a product that achieves the same result, but said water is just fine. Thus, I misted each piece, pressed for 15 minutes to flatten and then cut my pieces.

Secondly, they said when cutting the pieces, hold knife to a slight angle (not at 90 degrees) so that you do not see the joints...(think of crown molding)...

Third, tape the ENTIRE piece with painters tape before applying glue. This prevents bleed-through, which was concerning since I was using burl...in fact, I had to place the triangles around some voids in the burl.

Lastly, they told me to use Titebond Cold Press Veneer Glue because it gives you more working time and is formulated to prevent bleed through. Contact cement is for the pro...not me. Place wax paper over piece before you clamp, don't want your press boards to adhere to your project.

Once you have it all taped, I recommend misting the entire piece and press it for a few minutes. This will help flatten the piece before you glue and you get a good preview of what it will look like.

Last edited:

StephenM

If you're going to do any amount of veneering, I highly recommend one of these bags: Roarockit | Thin Air Press Products You don't need a vacuum pump as they have a manual one with a seal that keeps everything under vacuum. The 26 x 28 works perfect for chess and cribbage (and backgammon) boards.

I also recommend using veneer tape rather than painters tape as the veneer tape draws the pieces together as it dries for nice tight joints. And always use Cold Press Veneer glue or hide glues - NEVER contact cement. It just doesn't hold up in the long run for quality pieces (IMHO)

jmbaker79

Beautiful work! Been thinking about tackling a cribbage board, just have no one to play with as it isn't a favorite of the wife. Wonder if you could use a mat cutter like for framing pictures. It cuts at an angle and everything. Very controlled with guides to make straight cuts. You could find them at any decent art supply store.. Just a thought!

StephenM

An exacto knife and a straight edge are all you need. Here's a cribbage board I did a while back:

LouiCriSmb.jpg

Sapelle, walnut burl and madrone burl with walnut panel molding. Substrate is true Baltic birch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom