Back painting Rotacrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I'm working on a Rotacrylics hummingbird blank. Is back painting necessary? If so, what color? Black?

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 94
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 90
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

How thick will the wall be on the finished product? Do you want to brighten the colors? While I have no experience with rotacrylics, I would consider silver or white.

Another thought... isn't it 4 am there? Go back to sleep. šŸ˜‰

qquake

The pen is a Jr. Imperial, which uses the same bushings as the Majestic Jr. The hummingbird will be on the lower body. It's a 10.5mm drill bit, and the OD on the bushing is 0.516". So that leaves a wall thickness of 0.051".

And I start work at 5:30, so I'm always up at 3:30. I've always been an early riser. A lot of my best pens are made before 5. šŸ˜“

jttheclockman

Jim I looked at back threads on this subject and found no mention of a need to back paint because his detail work goes all the way through. I did find this video made by Ed that nicely explains how to turn these blanks and what to pay attention to. If you use these it would be a good idea to watch that. Here is Jeff explaining his new creation back then.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/making-improvements.129590/#post-1738235

Ed has a video on his site that explains how to turn those type blanks and the do's and dont's of them. Very helpful.

qquake

Jim I looked at back threads on this subject and found no mention of a need to back paint because his detail work goes all the way through. I did find this video made by Ed that nicely explains how to turn these blanks and what to pay attention to. If you use these it would be a good idea to watch that. Here is Jeff explaining his new creation back then.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/making-improvements.129590/#post-1738235

Ed has a video on his site that explains how to turn those type blanks and the do's and dont's of them. Very helpful.
I did watch Ed's video, it was helpful. And I don't really think back painting is necessary, but don't want to take any chances. I've been unpleasantly surprised in the past. I shined a flashlight through it and it does look at least somewhat translucent. I'll probably go with black paint. Usually I choose paint that's the predominant color of the blank. But I'm afraid red paint may make the hummingbird look brown. Todd suggested silver in his post above, which is also a possibility.

I did an experiment a while back with back painting. Two halves of the exact same blank, one painted white, and the other painted black. Huge difference.

Attachments

• 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 87
  • blank01.jpg
    blank01.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 83
  • blank02.jpg
    blank02.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 90
  • white01.jpg
    white01.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 79
  • white02.jpg
    white02.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 87
  • white03.jpg
    white03.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 87
  • white04.jpg
    white04.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 81
  • white05.jpg
    white05.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 77
  • white06.jpg
    white06.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 81
  • white07.jpg
    white07.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 93
  • black01.jpg
    black01.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 85
  • black02.jpg
    black02.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 88
  • black03.jpg
    black03.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 95
  • black04.jpg
    black04.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 81
  • black05.jpg
    black05.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 79
  • black06.jpg
    black06.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 76
  • black07.jpg
    black07.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 88

RGVPens

Very good info and pictures on back painting! I haven't got into that... yet. I do have a few blanks that probably should be painted, so I'll get to try it soon. Great blank for your demo! Do most blanks have that dramatic effect, or does it need to have a lot of white in it?

I really like that blank! Where did you get it?

jttheclockman

Gary alot depends on the blank and colors used. Most transparent blanks need painting. Using different colors for the painting can drastically change the look. Here is an example of a pen I made. All the same blank the one on the left was back painted with white. The ones on the right, the lower section was painted with a reddish brown and the top one was painted with a metallic blue spray paint and that was the one I went with for the finished pen. The blank in its raw state is in front of can. Have included photo of finished pen also.
Copy of IMGP0392.JPG
Copy of IMGP0375.JPG
Copy of IMGP0296.JPG

qquake

Very good info and pictures on back painting! I haven't got into that... yet. I do have a few blanks that probably should be painted, so I'll get to try it soon. Great blank for your demo! Do most blanks have that dramatic effect, or does it need to have a lot of white in it?

I really like that blank! Where did you get it?
It's called Moon Storm, from Bear Tooth Woods.

qquake

I think I've decided to back paint it with black. If it turns out the material is opaque, it won't matter. But if it's translucent, I'm afraid white would make it look too pale.

qquake

Too late to change it now.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 63

sorcerertd

Gary alot depends on the blank and colors used. Most transparent blanks need painting. Using different colors for the painting can drastically change the look. Here is an example of a pen I made. All the same blank the one on the left was back painted with white. The ones on the right, the lower section was painted with a reddish brown and the top one was painted with a metallic blue spray paint and that was the one I went with for the finished pen. The blank in its raw state is in front of can. Have included photo of finished pen also. View attachment 326559View attachment 326560 View attachment 326558

That's a beautiful pen, John. I would never have thought to go with such a contrasting color as blue, but the results speak for themselves.

RGVPens

It's called Moon Storm, from Bear Tooth Woods.

I meant where did you get the hummingbird blank. But looking at the Moon Storm one...I have to get a couple and try that!! Thanks! What is best to paint the inside of the blank...a Q-Tip?? Let dry overnight, or a couple of days? Looks like you colored the epoxy also...just acrylic paint from Walmart?

I need another project like a kick in the butt...but I think it's cool and have to try it!

RGVPens

John, that's an awesome pen!!! What is it, Emperor?
I would NEVER have thought the white and blue painted came off the same original blank. Learning how to do this will add a whole different level to my pens!

qquake

I meant where did you get the hummingbird blank. But looking at the Moon Storm one...I have to get a couple and try that!! Thanks! What is best to paint the inside of the blank...a Q-Tip?? Let dry overnight, or a couple of days? Looks like you colored the epoxy also...just acrylic paint from Walmart?

I need another project like a kick in the butt...but I think it's cool and have to try it!
I got it from Exotic Blanks. I use enamel spray paint for the bores and tubes, and cheap acrylic paint from Walmart (good guess!) to color the epoxy.

qquake

I'm not 100% certain that back painting was necessary. But there are a few black spots that might be the paint showing through. I think with such expensive blanks, it's best not to take chances. If I ever turn another Rotacrylic, I will definitely back paint it.

Attachments

• 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 72

RGVPens

I got it from Exotic Blanks. I use enamel spray paint for the bores and tubes, and cheap acrylic paint from Walmart (good guess!) to color the epoxy.

Wow, that is a pricy blank...but really cool! Can't wait to see the finished pen.
I use the same Apple Barrel acrylic Walmart paint for a few of my scroll saw works. I like it so far.
IMG_1754 (2).jpg

jttheclockman

That's a beautiful pen, John. I would never have thought to go with such a contrasting color as blue, but the results speak for themselves.
Thank you. Yes there were drastic color shifts with each color for sure. I thought the white just washed the blank out. The brown/red made it look muddy and the blue just popped it.
John, that's an awesome pen!!! What is it, Emperor?
I would NEVER have thought the white and blue painted came off the same original blank. Learning how to do this will add a whole different level to my pens!
Thank you. The pen is a full sized Majestic rollerball. The letter opener is the matching set to the pen. I took the clear crystal out of the clip and replaced with one made from the same material as the blank. I do that on occasion.

Wow, that is a pricy blank...but really cool! Can't wait to see the finished pen.
I use the same Apple Barrel acrylic Walmart paint for a few of my scroll saw works. I like it so far.
View attachment 326589
Gary I love the scroll work. Well done. That would make a nice ornament.

qquake

I just posted the finished pen.

Top Bottom