Baby Steps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

Slowly I'm working to break my dependency on pen kits.

The pictured pen is PR and uses the section and coupler from an Atrax with a Bock #5 nib. I engraved the pen on my DOL and inlaid the engraving with cold cast bronze. There is no clip because I wanted to do a hidden clip without introducing a seam (no matter how well hidden) in the cap and the clips I had on hand were either not right or wouldn't work.

I'm going to try fabricating my own clip as my next baby step. Then it's on to making my own coupler and section.

Pen is 9" total length capped. Cap can be "posted" loosely on the back of the barrel, but it's not really intended to be postable. Weight is 1.1 oz. I had requests for lighter pens than you typically end up with when using a kit, and I think I could even shave a couple more tenths of an ounce off of this one if I tried.

The ratio of the cap length to the pen / nib length is something I want to play around with a little more on my next attempt. Without a clip I think I would make the cap just a little bit shorter (maybe ~1/8"). With a clip? Have to wait and see what I come up with for a clip I guess.

All c&c welcome.

Ed

Attachments

• HY02_1581.jpg
    HY02_1581.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 184
  • HY02_1582.jpg
    HY02_1582.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Hi Ray - I'm tall, but not quite that tall. The pen is 6" long capped, not 9". Computer must have turned the number upside down as I typed.....yeah, it's the computers fault!

Looks like I'm too late to be able to edit the original post. Oh well.

Ed

SDB777

Really digging that inlaid stuff going on here! And everyone needs a long pen for their collection! I know I have a few of them.

A+ turningz!!!!

Scott B

Top Bottom