Axis Antler Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Depending on how good of antler it is. I have had some axis that doesnt need a finish. But there is some that you will have to use a finish. i use CA with mine.

tnilmerl

Depending on the density, you can buff ti a high shine. However, the material can more readily absorb oils and other contaminants. I ALWAYS seal antler, usually with CA but occasionally with a friction polish.

alamocdc

Cav, I do like Johnny does. I've had some that needed nothing but buffing (I still add a coat of TSW or Ren Wax though), and I've had some that I needed to use CA on. You should be able to tell when you let the light hit all the surfaces. If there are any spots that appear a bit more dull than the rest, I'll use a CA finish.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Billy,

Thanks for chiming in. I did a seal coat with thin CA, back through all the micro mesh grits, then decided to buff with carnuba wax. I think it turned out well, just hope the guy I made it for thinks the same. I'll try to get a pix tomorrow, I have a bad case of the yawns right now. It's hell, getting old. [8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Thanks, Johnny and Travis. This one finished to such a high shine and no porosities that I wasn't sure whether or not to seal it.

I once asked Tom (ole Griz) what his method was because he does a consistently oustanding job with antler. He always seals with CA.
My personal Baron is CA sealed antler. The porous marrow bit still wore off and now has a textured feel. Many would not like this but I don't mind.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Frank,

With white tail or mule deer, I definitely agree. Axis antler is very different with almost no marrow space.

No pictures of the pen. When I decided to use carnuba wax, I had to apply some friction pressure to smooth the wax in the cold weather. It looked awesome when assembled, but cracked before the day was over! #%$&!!!! I think my bar of carnuba is going to take a trip to the landfill!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Frank,

With white tail or mule deer, I definitely agree. Axis antler is very different with almost no marrow space.

No pictures of the pen. When I decided to use carnuba wax, I had to apply some friction pressure to smooth the wax in the cold weather. It looked awesome when assembled, but cracked before the day was over! #%$&!!!! I think my bar of carnuba is going to take a trip to the landfill!

I have some axis from Johnny that I haven't used yet. I know about the narrow marrow bit. Cracked? Interesting. Can you fill with a color contrasting material? In addition to toothpicks being and indispensible part of my shop, so is a hair dryer. Heat softens lotsa stuff. Throw that caranuba bar this way. [;)]

Cav,
You may have had some other pressure that caused the crack.. I've never had any trouble with any of my antler cracking from friction... it has cracked when I pressed the parts together if I didn't have the tube exactly square to the press.. got in too big of a hurry.. I use a little Ca on the marrow part, but on the solid horn, usually just sand to high grit and leave natural.

Rifleman1776

I agree, antler cracking is a puzzlement to me. It is tough stuff. Used for knife handles, pistol grips, many other tools. It's even used to chip flint. Methinks other gremlins are at work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom