Autumn Brass infusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is a single barrel finial twist Autumn Leaf pen in brass and with custom brass clip. I actually was going for a Skippy rat tail clip but the clip part broke off as I was torching and bending it back around, so I took the broken piece and screwed it back to the retainer ring, soldered it and re-bent it to become what it is now. It's much heavier than my average pen, but it sure is solid.

autumninfusion3.jpg

autumninfusion2.jpg

autumninfusion1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I know you went for the artsy look but you are doing injustice to the great work of yours. The pen gets lost in the background. Just an observation. Always loved those autumn blanks and this is a winner also. Thanks for showing.

seamus7227

Jeff this may be too much info, but are you clear powdercoating the clips so they dont tarnish and any long term effects noticed (ie. crackling) since you started making them?

workinforwood

No, I do not powder coat nor do I plate any of my metal work. Nothing you put on will last. I have never seen any pitting happen and if it did, my customers don't care about it. When you go to a pen show, you see the oldest most coveted pens that involve metal, are not coated in any way. This is what people desire. The pen is more desirable after it tarnishes and although people can clean the metal with brasso, they won't do it. A tarnished pen is not ugly, but a plated or coated pen that is warn and chipping is ugly. I advertise to be as it used to be, real metal and made in the USA.

wizard

Jeff, That is gorgeous.. I really enjoyed turning your Autumn leaves blank. Those are truly works of art. I like the photos !! Regards, Doc

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice work there buddy!!!:biggrin:
Although your first clip attempt broke, I think this method works even better.
I'm intrigued about the screws, what size are they? Look about 3mm to me, perhaps even smaller?
They can't be very long either cos you'd foul the mech.

Very impressed:wink::biggrin:

workinforwood

yes, 3mmx5mm round top brass screws coated with flux so when heated the solder sucks right in to the threads then a carbide cutter in my rotary tool to flush the screws on the inside so they are solid and nothing will budge ever. I could have done it without the screws at all, but I like the look of screws and they do help hold the clip in place while soldering. It was the thickness of the brass that made my rat tail break off. If the brass was thinner it would have made the bend, but if the brass is too thin it won't hold it's shape as a clip. I did discover that masking tape and direction of heat is the key to saving labor time. Masking tape helps prevent tool marring, even though the tape catches on fire, it still remains in place, and the heat needs to be applied to what will be the outside of the clip because if you heat the inside of the bends it's more work removing the oxidation. The original rat tail was cut using a dremel with disc clamped to the cross slide. So simple and so effective. When the tail broke off and I went to save it, because it was part of the hollow rod, it had the drill profile on one side already so it mated to the cap perfectly.

Top Bottom