Automatic speed control in a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

What is the "official" terminology for a lathe for which the speed is controlled by a dial or other mechanism so that no belt changing is required? Is that a "multi" or a "variable" speed lathe? Also, is there a good selection of pen-sized lathes that have this feature?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Vendors and manufactures use the term "variable speed"

Most modern variable speed lathes also belt/sheeve changes to cover the full speed range, but not as many sheeve changes as those lathes without variable speed capability.

The price is higher for variable speed. The better capacity lathes cost more.

There are a lot of variable speed lathes on the market. I have been impressed with the Rikon 1220 VS in the midi class in recent months. Avoid Reeves drives for variable speed. Maintenance issues abound.

I use vs on my lathes.

Last edited:

JimB

What you are looking for is VS or Variable Speed. however, and this is a big however, different manufacturers use the VS terminology differently. A 'belt changer' and a reeves drive are sometimes referred to as variable speed. Neither has the dial you are looking for.

Bottom line is you need to read the description and specs and look at the picture of the lathe to really determine if it what you ar looking for.

JimB

And if you want some more confusion look at the Jet 1642 EVS (electronic variable speed) or the Nova DVR XP has Continuous Variable Speed and has Up and Down buttons instead of a dial.

If you are looking at lathes and are confused about what it has just ask about it on here giving the model. You will get answers!

low_48

That "dial" you are referring to is called a potentiometer. There are two ways to control motor speed. An electronic variable speed, and mechanical variable speed. Electronic systems use a 2 or 3 step pulley to allow the motor to stay in peak torque ranges over the entire range of spindle speed. They typically will have a lower minimum speed than the mechanical system. Basically zero maintenance on electronic, very critical maintenance required on mechanical systems. Not keeping up the lube schedule on reeves drive will result in a bound unit that is very fragile to rebuild.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
JimB mentioned the Nova DVR XP - I don't know if it would be in your price range, but Woodcraft has it on sale for the entire month of Feb.

It is has a unique VS system - it is a direct spindle drive motor, so there are no belts or pulleys and it is continuously variable from 100 to 3800 RPM in 5 RPM increments. The motor controller has a microprocessor that monitors the turning load & adjusts power output to maintain a steady speed. It is a truly sweet machine!

PenPal

Some pics of two of my variable speed controllers the oldest one on the VL100 and the newest on my VL150 I bought separately got info from the same supplier to wire up been fantastic. What they do for me is create two extra phases plus the one incoming to make three phases. The one on the VL100 uses a three phase star connected motor the VL150 a Delta connected three phase motor.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 179

nava1uni

JimB mentioned the Nova DVR XP - I don't know if it would be in your price range, but Woodcraft has it on sale for the entire month of Feb.

It is has a unique VS system - it is a direct spindle drive motor, so there are no belts or pulleys and it is continuously variable from 100 to 3800 RPM in 5 RPM increments. The motor controller has a microprocessor that monitors the turning load & adjusts power output to maintain a steady speed. It is a truly sweet machine!

This is a great lathe. I have it and you can also preset five(5) speeds that you use the most. The price that Woodcraft is selling it for is really great, plus it comes with a chuck with jaws and also cole jaws for finishing the bottom of bowls, etc.

low_48

This is a great lathe. I have it and you can also preset five(5) speeds that you use the most. The price that Woodcraft is selling it for is really great, plus it comes with a chuck with jaws and also cole jaws for finishing the bottom of bowls, etc.

I've never liked turning on the DVR. When I push a start button on a lathe, I prefer it to start. I don't like it taking time to come up to speed. I hate that soft start!

Top Bottom