Australian Grass tree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPal

A delightful material both to see and turn with its mustard yellow infused by brown flecks that appear as if etched into the surface,in reality consistant all the way through.Ended up the skinniest slimline for ten years I was having so much fun turning.

The bole of the so called tree is hollow up the centre and the roots extend upward and firm up,they live to 600 yrs,very slow growing.The flowering stem grows out the top and extends about ten feet with maybe thousands of flowers at a time,this hardens off and looks like a spear.

This particular specimen grew in Western Australia,ie across the continent about the same distance as Sanfracisco to New York and came out of my stash from many years ago.

Peter

2007616134516_GT2%20223x927.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
We need input from one of our Oz members on this. IIRC, the grass tree is somewhat endangered. Also, IIRC, the dust from turning is considered more toxic than the usual turning dust.

Darley

William Grass tree as been protected from exportation to other over sea contries the reason been that the grass tree grow about 1" a year and yes the grass tree is endangered we can find grass tree for turning in Australia not cheap and a lot of waste as is only the stump is been used ( look like palm tree fiber ), the warning for the grass tree is simple don't wear any safety gears and next year you'r in a cask[:D][:(][xx(][xx(]
in the mean time if you have a well set up shop ( dust hood on your lathe, proper respiratory mask and so on ) you can have a very nice pen or bowl, the second deadly wood in Australia but beautiful as well is 'black bean', here's one of my grass tree pen call as well as ( no offence ) ' Black boy '

edit : forgot the best point grass tree is protected since February 2006, so no export of live plant,

2007619131757_blackboy.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />We need input from one of our Oz members on this. IIRC, the grass tree is somewhat endangered. Also, IIRC, the dust from turning is considered more toxic than the usual turning dust.

PenPal

Grass Trees can be obtained for 4.00 dollars per kilo cheap as chips from djarilmari@wn.com.au enquiries,they sell overseas,have a look at Jack DeVos woodturners web site,he has been turning them for twenty years now,From your interest Rmartin I rang Jack and had a yarn and he gave me his supplier to help you,Jack always turned bowl and larger shapes,the supply company water blasts the grass tree.

Although the tree colour varies that company is located in West Australia in the top area for Plessii the only yellow bole colour and others from brown to orange,see Jacks pics.Always take care with dust with any species. Take care Peter
Google Grass Tree

R2

Yes grass trees are VERY carcenogenic and do other sorts of nasties to the body if you are not thoroughly protected. We have turners here in Qld. who simply won't touch it. The Black Bean is very pretty but, as Darley points out, quite toxic. My uncle was restoring a pianola and merely breathing in the fine dust from the very first swoosh of hand sanding made his nose bleed.
It might pay everyone to look up toxic timbers on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom