Aussie collection-continues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

I've recently acquired some excellent Australian blanks to my collection.This is the outcome from my favourite blank amongst the lot. It's red gum (eucalyptus) and it was crafted to fit my very last Jr. Gentlemen(V1) kit. The red gum turned like a charm and I was pleased with the sanding effort since it's known to be very abrasive. The rich red colour faded somewhat as I continued to turn it down but overall I'm very pleased with the results. I call this my little Aussie timber collection and look forward to doing some more. Feel free to comment and drop AUSDAN a line if these blanks are appealing to you. They are certain to become favourites.
-Peter-
200681122318_gum1.jpg

200681122339_gum2.jpg

20068112240_timber.jpg

200681122421_timber1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ausdan

Thanks for the 'plug' Peter; Nice Pen! You were right about it's colour - it'll be interesting to see whether this darkens with age; it can be a bit of a red gum trait. I like the finish too! Interested to see how a few of our other species 'turn-up'. Cheers & Thanks once again Peter.
Dan

johncrane

my dad was cutting ten ton a day for Kraft Cheese Factory when they had wood fired boilers he was one of the five suppliers.it all stoped a few years ago when they changed over to gas burners.I agree with you peter better to turn it [:)]

wood-of-1kind

Here's a satin finish CIGAR turned with one of the fine WILGA blanks. A simple wood but has great grain characteristcs. Turns very eaily and sands to a nice smoothness at 800 grit. Placed a buff finish on top to give it a nice 'pen shine'.
-Peter-

2006816232746_wilga.jpg
<br />
2006816232810_wilga1.jpg
<br />
2006816232839_wilga2.jpg
<br />

wood-of-1kind

Here's another to the collection. It's known as BRIGALOW and unlike the previous two, this one emits a very distinct and pleasant aroma when turned. Very appealing to the nose and reminds me a bit the amboyna smell. Brigalow is much denser than the previous (2)blanks(wilga & redgum) but still turned easily and has the best chattoiance of the three. Perhaps AUSDAN will chime in and add a little bit more 'flavour' to this wood. It's my favourite so far of the set. Looking forward to continuing to add another 'blank' chapter to the Aussie penturning saga.
-Peter-
20068190277_brigalow.jpg
<br />
200681902733_brigalow1.jpg
<br />
200681902828_brigalow2.jpg
<br />

Daniel

I have to agree with you on the BRIGALOW. It is my favorite in every way including your selection of kit used. I have an attraction to the dark simple woods, they have a masculan flavor for me. looks like they belong on an executives desk.

wood-of-1kind

They just keep getting better. This is QUEENSLAND BLACKWOOD and it proved to be the trickiest to turn so far. Applied a CA finish to the Chrome cigar kit.The wood is extremely dense and sharp tools are a prerequiste. Gorgeous grain and in some ways it reminds me of koa but much harder. I'm approaching the end of my five Aussie turning chapters and must say that I've been most impressed from these species from Oz.
-Peter-
200682015153_queensland.jpg
<br />
2006820151530_queensland1.jpg
<br />
2006820151556_queensland2.jpg
<br />

wood-of-1kind

This is the final Aussie. A nice sheoak blank that turned smoothly. It's dressed on an Americana satin gold kit. Turning all five different species was very rewarding and most enjoyable. I'm looking forward to doing a similar theme along this Aussie line. I'm closing the chapter on another installment of "As Peter's world turns".

2006820215356_sheoak.jpg
<br />
[ATTACH=full]277347[/ATTACH]<br />
[ATTACH=full]277348[/ATTACH]<br />

[ATTACH=full]277349[/ATTACH]<br />

[ATTACH=full]277350[/ATTACH]<br />

Snazzypens

If you are after some nice wood, see if you can get your hand on gidgee or Jarrah they nice. beautiful pens though.

all the best Toni

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />If you are after some nice wood, see if you can get your hand on gidgee or Jarrah they nice.

Thanks for the nice comment Toni. Jarrah was the first Aussie wood that I tried last year. It is indeed very nice. Will try 'gidgee' simply because it sounds like a fun word. I believe that Serge(Darley) may have done some pens in gidgee if memory serves me correct.

-Peter-[:)]

Ausdan

Hi again Peter

You've done a great job on those few species - great finishing and choice of kits! Photos are great - background and lighting seem good to me (I'm not too hard to please though - LOL). The rays on the sheoak stand out nicely - what grit did you have to sand to (MM)? I think my favourite is the sheoak - once again excellent choice of kit!
I notice you've given a little bit of information about the abrasiveness (& quite correctly too) - wilga is quite dense but does turn like butter - blackwood can be a little abrasive; how did you find the sheoak? Unfortunately I think our blackwood is a little down on the list of 'toughness-to-turn' - but no doubt you'll find out sooner than later [;)]

Cheers

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom