Attack of the Red Fairy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I wanted to cast a resin that looked like candy apple red metallic. Something like you would see on a custom paint job on a car.

I bought some polyester jewels. These are teeny tiny bits of mylar that are 0.00045" thick and .015" in diameter. My resin mixing station and my clothes look like I had an epic battle with the red fairy. Red fairy dust is everywhere. Sparkles on the worktop, sparkles on the walls, sparkles on me, sparkles on the carpet where I walked into the house before I realized I had sparkles on my shoes (trying to figure out how to handle this one with the LOML).

Apparently the mylar picks up a static charge and as soon as it gets close to anything it jumps and attaches. The slightest air movement sends it airborne. In restrospect I probably should have mixed it with some styrene before trying to dump it into the mixing container with the resin.

Looks pretty cook in the mold. But the next time I work with this stuff, I'll be using it outdoors far away from the house. I might also put on a tyvek suit as well.

Polyester Jewels. Beware!!!!!

Ed

jaeger

No picture, didn't happen.
Probably just a Fairy Tale :0)
Let's see a photo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jttheclockman

Why didn't you just use some red metalic dust inlace and mix it with the resin??? A whole lot easier and cleaner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom