Atrax with Redheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

Little bit of a story with this one. I started today planning to make an Atrax with Zebrawood - unfortunately the blank blew out on me, pretty badly. So then I just decided to go with Redheart. Turned out to be pretty gorgeous if I don't say so myself. However, when I assembled somehow I got the grain alignment all messed up. I tried everything to pull it apart and finally just went to pliers and pulled out the one piece. I didn't really mess up the threads too much but I couldn't self-conciously sell it that way. So I went and managed to properly remove the piece from one of my Atrax pens that were "carry with me" pens that something had gone with before. Switched out the threaded inserts for the tips and voila, good to go!

Genteel-1.jpg

Genteel-2.jpg

Genteel-3.jpg

Genteel-4.jpg

Genteel-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Zebrawood can really be a pain sometimes..... but I really like Redheart too. I was able to get a fairly big chunk of Redheart on a blowout sale at Woodcraft, for about $3 last fall. I have made several pens with it already, and have enough wood left for about another dozen blanks. This is a beautiful pen. I will have to try an Atrax for myself.

RSidetrack

Zebrawood can really be a pain sometimes..... but I really like Redheart too. I was able to get a fairly big chunk of Redheart on a blowout sale at Woodcraft, for about $3 last fall. I have made several pens with it already, and have enough wood left for about another dozen blanks. This is a beautiful pen. I will have to try an Atrax for myself.

I have never had a piece of Zebrawood blow out, but I have come across some voids within the wood that pretty much makes the piece useless. Since you have so much redheart I highly recommend putting some on an Atrax :wink:

I love the combination of material with the components, but not too fond of the fatness of the barrels.
I like to add shape to my pens. Sometimes they are a little fat, but they fit in the hand nicely. I think this is a personal preference, some like straight/flat end to end. I actually have a custom order request for olivewood that has no shaping, it will be something different for me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom