Atrax - Brook's Blanks - Butterscotch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

So this pen was a disaster, but I managed to recover it enough to use it as my daily carry pen. I decided to reverse paint black, though I almost wish I went with white or cream to fit the butterscotch blank better. This is an Atrax Rollerball with a Butterscotch Brook's Blank from Exotic.

So the issues - the first thing I had happen was my drill vise wasn't tight enough :eek: It took the blank and spun it right round right round. Anyway, the hole was slightly not round. Not horrible, I used a think coat of paint when reverse painting and thick CA. I let it set up all night. When I went to turn for some reason the CA didn't set right - the blank became free spinning on the tube. I have never had this happen before, but I guess there is a first for everything. I glued it again, waited, and then turned it. Unfortunately I discovered that the cap (clip top side) had cracked in about 5 spots :mad: I used thin CA to secure them and I managed to get them to hide very well. The worst crack I covered with the clip. They are all tight and not giving, but you can still see the seams if you look close enough. This immediately made me decide to switch kits (from fountain to regular) and use it as my every day carry.

So then the next issue was, since I don't have the proper bushing set, I use the Majestic Jr bushings to turn it down most of the way, and then the smaller part on the top end of the lower blank I TBC and get it down to size. For some reason I measured wrong and went just slightly too small. That, however, isn't the end of that. I accidentally assembled the pen with the nib end on the smaller side and the end cap coupler on the nib end :mad: So I had to disassemble - I do not have a disassemble tool - so I had to improvise :rolleyes: Managed to get it apart, reassembled correctly and that is when I discovered I somehow went too small on the cap end. Either way, the pen looks great, I just couldn't sell it with it's issues. Hopefully the next Brook's Blank I turn I don't mess up like this because it is almost a sacrilege on his blanks :)

Anyway, here goes:

Atrax-1.jpg

Atrax-2.jpg

Atrax-3.jpg

Atrax-4.jpg

Atrax-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

I think it looks great. Black reverse paint really brought out those lighter colors. Sounds like you had an interesting journey. Kudos for hanging in there and finishing this beautiful pen!

Brooks803

Rick, for everything you had trouble with I can't see any of it. I LOVE the black reverse paint! Your finish is flawless. Even with the drilling, glueing & painting mishap you can't see a single bit of that in the end result. Thanks for showing! You did a great job on it.

RSidetrack

Very nice. Love the blank. Nice job all around. What's ur blank painting technic, looks flawless?

I must say I have gone through several trial and errors for reverse painting. The technique that proves effective every time is that I use black primer on both the inside of the blank and 180 grit sanded tubes. I put two coats on the tubes and one coat on the inside of the blank. This allows for the superglue "rip" of the paint to not affect the end results as much. Also - put the tube in quickly, the more the glue sets the more the paint pulls off. This technique always works - which is why I was shocked that the glue hadn't held the tube in place the first go around. The bottom blank didn't have an issue, only the top one.

I think it looks great. Black reverse paint really brought out those lighter colors. Sounds like you had an interesting journey. Kudos for hanging in there and finishing this beautiful pen!
Agree I think black background really sets off the swirls!!

The black sets it off nicely, I agree - but I still wonder what it would have looked like with white/cream paint. I wish I had gotten two of each blank :biggrin: The journey was most definitely interesting and the way I see it - it was a good learning experience. I really think the cracks took place when it broke lose of the barrel and not the drilling incident. As I was skewing it down it just grabbed and spun the whole blank off the barrel.

Rick, for everything you had trouble with I can't see any of it. I LOVE the black reverse paint! Your finish is flawless. Even with the drilling, glueing & painting mishap you can't see a single bit of that in the end result. Thanks for showing! You did a great job on it.

Thanks very much Jonathan! I loved seeing your blanks on all of the pens on here so I had to get a few of my own. The scariest thing when drilling for this Atrax kits is it really comes close to the edges of the blanks, I think that is what made me so afraid to tighten the vise further. The pictures definitely don't show the issues, but I hand you a magnifying glass and the pen and you will see. Other than those who are so good with the eye and examining things, no one will notice. I showed three friends last night, they didn't notice a single thing wrong with it. Still, I could not go and sell it just because for me, it has to be flawless. As for an every day carry around pen for me, I love it. I have only kept one pen for myself and it was a Gatsby. This pen is just awesome and with the gorgeous blank and kit, gotta keep it :biggrin:

Top Bottom