At least he admits this was a stupid idea.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Great video with a terrific lesson. Kickback was actually one of the first lessons I ever learned on a table saw. In 8th grade shop class, I was trying to trim a piece of mahogany just about the size of the piece he used in his demonstration. I saw the wood start to raise up so I stepped out of the way and the wood flew across the shop just missing another student's head and shattered against the cinder block wall. The shop teacher gave me H$%L and instructed me how to do is correctly. I tried again on a second piece and there it was starting to raise up again. Rather than being yelled at by the shop teacher again, I stepped in front of the wood and tensed my stomach muscles. YEOW! I took it right in the gut and wore a very nice 2 inch by 6 inch bruise for the next four weeks or so. I never told the shop teacher, but it took me a while to get up the courage to make that cut on a table saw again. For me, the table saw it the most dangerous piece of equipment in the shop.

Jim Smith

OMG I am surprised we didn't get to know the inside of his hand. That was unbelievable and stupid and he admits it. He will never do that again I am sure. What a lesson though.

Scruffy

Table saws are tools.

Almost any power tool has some dangerous usage associated with it. Safety should always be the first thought when using power tools. Some hand tools can bite you too.

I know more people that have been hurt from a drill press than I know being hurt from a table saw. They were just not acting safe.

I am very happy with using a table saw. I have made many, many passes.

In 20 some odd years, I have had kick back maybe 3 times. But, that may be just luck. One should always have a splitter or riving knife.

Hence if you watch the following video's. he has a Saw Stop. Since I watched this and many vid on the saw stop. I've bought panel saws in rip and cross cut. Those are absolutely guaranteed to stop if connecting with human flesh.

I saw this a while back, Granted he was not thinking right for causing a kickback but he did try to teach us a lesson in the process and he has a SawStop now and has done a lot of other cool projects. Look on his video list for the "I Get Email" series, they are a hoot.

76winger

I've only had one kickback in 20 years of "sporadically" using my table saw. But I always have the splitter and dust cover on it when using it. There are a few times when I had to remove those protective devices to cut really thin strips, but then I've used push sticks in the 10=12" length range to keep ME away from that spinning blade. They can cause *SO* much damage in a split second it's amazing. ALWAYS RESPECT THE TOOLS!!!

If I ever decide the budget can afford a TS replacement, a SawStop will be the only way to go unless others have developed similar technology by that time.

its_virgil

I was cutting a cylinder in half down the length...yes I know..stupid. But I was not an experienced table saw user then. I had a kick back that hit me in the head just above my right eye in the eyebrow. 12 stitches. I was lucky to only loose $1100 in the ER instead of my eye. Later that day I found the piece that hit me. it was 40 feet from the table saw. yes, it bounced that far off my head. i was very lucky and have been very careful since.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

ctubbs

I appreciate the effort, however misdirected it may have been, he took to show us just how quick and dangerous kickback always is. Yes, all tools have the potential to hurt or damage the user, it is just the power assisted ones will do more and much quicker.

Charles

JasonM

That video makes me nervous just watching it. I've really only experienced one kickback and it was a doozy. In my much younger days when i knew everything and lacked the respect needed around such devices, I was cutting some plywood and standing exactly where I shouldn't have been. When I got to the end, the inside piece against the guardrail fired straight back into my gut. It took me quite some time to regain my breath and I had visions (thankfully untrue) of all the internal damage I must have sustained to hurt that much. At the end of the day I escaped with really nasty bruise (both to body and ego) and a painful lesson learned. Ever since, it's always safety first.

Russianwolf

I appreciate the effort, however misdirected it may have been, he took to show us just how quick and dangerous kickback always is. Yes, all tools have the potential to hurt or damage the user, it is just the power assisted ones will do more and much quicker.

Charles

That $2000+ hand powered table saw is looking better and better. :biggrin:

Quick mention, The Sawstop saws don't prevent kickback other than by having a riving knife which is now required on all new saws I believe. Remove the knife to do a dado and not put it back on, and it can still happen.

Even if you don't come near the blade, kickbacks are dangerous. Don't believe me? Ask the guy that had to pull out an inch long piece of wood from his stomach (oh yeah, that would be me). I was cutting a thin strip and just as the cut finish the piece shattered (spalted wood can be unpredictable) and part with a very sharp point hit me. Pierced both my sweatshirt and t-shirt and "scratched" me. I found out the tip was still inside me when I didn't heal after a couple days. If the piece had had more mass, the muscle wall wouldn't have stopped it and it would have made it to the organs.

Gilrock

I removed my riving knife because I had wood get hung up on it so many times after it passed the blade that it was feeling dangerous having to try to tweak the wood sideways to get it past the knife. I tried so many times to adjust it but it kept wanting to fatigue back to the out of alignment position.

edstreet

Lets put things into perspective shall we?

A 10" table saw blade spinning at 3650 RPM. The blade is traveling at 108.58 MPH.

A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 3650 RPM. The blank is traveling 10.8 MPH.
A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 1,500 RPM. The blank is traveling 4.46 MPH.
A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 800 RPM. The blank is traveling 2.37 MPH.

A 3/8" brad point drill bit recommended speed on a drill press is 1800 rpm in soft wood and 750 rpm in hardwood.
In softwood that is 2.00 MPH
In hardwood that is 0.836 MPH

See the difference?

GaryMGg

LIL,

:eek:
He's extremely lucky.

Years ago, I saw a presentation by Kelly Mehler. Mehler is a gifted woodworker.
He demonstrated a kickback using a large (roughly 2' X 2') piece of foam insulation board.
You can watch the blade lift material, pull it into the blade at the back, lift it over like a pitching machine and throw it at the user.
He figured out a safe way of allowing folks to really see what happens.
No reason to hang your mitt within an inch of the blade to teach others how not to turn a hand into stew. :frown:

Lets put things into perspective shall we?

A 10" table saw blade spinning at 3650 RPM. The blade is traveling at 108.58 MPH.

A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 3650 RPM. The blank is traveling 10.8 MPH.
A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 1,500 RPM. The blank is traveling 4.46 MPH.
A 1" pen blank spinning on your lathe at 800 RPM. The blank is traveling 2.37 MPH.

A 3/8" brad point drill bit recommended speed on a drill press is 1800 rpm in soft wood and 750 rpm in hardwood.
In softwood that is 2.00 MPH
In hardwood that is 0.836 MPH

See the difference?

I knew it was fast I didn't know it was that fast. I know with router bits that you have to slow down the router for larger bits because you can get them moving fast enough to fly apart.

carlmorrell

There's another thread on this forum about selecting a table saw. I posted my opinion. I should have also added that the less expensive table saw vibrated quite a bit. I had two kickback experiences with my POS saw. Both times, it was with 1/4" plywood, and as I was cutting, I could see the vibration, just before the blade grabbed the wood and flung it at me. Nothing even close to that with the better saw. YMMV:eek:

edstreet

Oh thought this would be interesting for this thread. I found it this AM. Here we have a high speed video (slow motion) of a table saw cutting into particle board. You can clearly see the vast number of blowouts that is going on.

table saw particle board 1200fps - YouTube
My mom worked in a cabinet shop several years back. One of the employee's was working on a table saw when the board shattered, it sent several 6" or so splinters into his hands and he ended up having to get surgery to remove them and was seriously messed up after that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom