Assmbly problem with cigar twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

QuiltinMom

I turned a solid surface pen today and when we assembled it the ink refill doesn't retract all the way. Also when you twist the pen to use it the ink refill extends too far out.

We have examined it and tried to see if we can get it to fit better and we just can't see why it is not fitting correctly. We did not adjust or shorten the length of the tubes at all.

The kit is from Penn State Industries and was part of a starter pack (I think).

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

It sounds like you may have trimmed the lower barrel too short. Check the length of another lower cigar tube against the length of this lower section.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I had the same problem I found out after I had turned both blanks that I had turned them in the wrong order. I have had the short barrel on the bottom and the long barrel at the top. I was able to disassemble the pen and return and long barrel to the right size. I've come close to doing that again so now when I have a pen what different length tubes I mark them top and bottom so when I get ready to turn them I can be sure I do it right. I hope this helps

panamag8or

I had the same problem I found out after I had turned both blanks that I had turned them in the wrong order. I have had the short barrel on the bottom and the long barrel at the top. I was able to disassemble the pen and return and long barrel to the right size. I've come close to doing that again so now when I have a pen what different length tubes I mark them top and bottom so when I get ready to turn them I can be sure I do it right. I hope this helps

I just had the same thing happen, with a really awesome piece of Atlantic City Boardwalk wood. The long tube was easy to fix, just turn down and refinish, but I had to build up the short tube with a lot of CA... a lot. It came out nice, though, so I was lucky.

Dale Allen

I just looked at a double twist cigar and the difference between the tubes is about .16"
A possible fix is to make a spacer to go onto the threaded center where the twist mechanism threads on. This will hold the mechanism away from the tip and thus the refill will not extend as far. You will not be able to take it all out but it may help.
Another possibility is to take a little off the black plastic of the refill. I don't think it will matter on a twist but on a click pen it does.

Deadhead

I just assembled 4 from PSI that a customer ordered and sent me; two extended fine and the other two didn't extend far enough. I'm going to measure all of them tomorrow.

QuiltinMom

THANKS for the replys. It was very discouraging to have a nice looking pen and then the mechanism didn't fit/work correctly.

We have gone back and checked the measurements and everything seems to be in the correct place and the correct sizes. Go figure.

I was thinking about trying to trim the black plastic at the top of the refill like Dale suggested. Will probably give that a try.

Deadhead - I am curious what you find out. Please report back.

THANKS for the suggestions!!!

Dale Allen

I have found that it very easy to take some length off of the tubes when trimming them and not realize what a difference it can make.
Just exactly how much off is it. Do you have a way to measure how much of the tip is extended past the opening when the refill is all the way retracted?
If it is just a very little then filing off the mechanism may be a better solution.

Hendu3270

I have found that it very easy to take some length off of the tubes when trimming them and not realize what a difference it can make.
Just exactly how much off is it. Do you have a way to measure how much of the tip is extended past the opening when the refill is all the way retracted?
If it is just a very little then filing off the mechanism may be a better solution.

This has happened to me as well. You gotta be careful and make sure you stop as soon as the blank is down to the tube.

Top Bottom