Asphalt sealer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Wondering if anyone can help me out here. The wife wants a couple chickens. So we bought a small coop from tractor supply. We have a 10'x10' dog pen, so we put it in there for more running room. The coop is made of some sort of wood and I've already thompson sealed all of that inside and out. Fixin to silicone any gaps today. This has some sort of asphalt material on top and I'm looking to put some sort of sealer on it to make it last longer. Don't really want to coat it with that black stuff. Just some sort of clear spray or brush-on sealer to protect it. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Bobby

1000006215.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Probably. You're just looking to add some waterproofing, correct?
Keep in mind the Asphalt type roof they put on it may outlast the wood they used.

bsshog40

Probably. You're just looking to add some waterproofing, correct?
Keep in mind the Asphalt type roof they put on it may outlast the wood they used.
Ya, just wanna add a little more protection to it. I know these aren't made to last forever but while it's still new, wanna treat whatever I can to prolong the life of it.
Plus, I seen a video of what's under this asphalt and it is basically veneer thin wood with little strips of wood for support.

Alan Morrison

Bobby, here's a tip if you are not already aware.
Paint the inside walls of the coop with a lime wash, which helps reduce pathogen problems in poultry.

bsshog40

Bobby, here's a tip if you are not already aware.
Paint the inside walls of the coop with a lime wash, which helps reduce pathogen problems in poultry.
I already coated all the wood with Thompsons water seal. Would lime wash do any good over that?

Top Bottom