Art Deco lava flow & Guardian w/ questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

First is my favorite of the day I think. This is an art deco kit from PSI, gun metal and gold. I used a lava flow blank from WNW. I think the blank really sets off the pen w/ the crystal since they are the same color. Let me know what you all think.

decolava-a.jpg decolava.jpg

This next one is my second guardian click. The first one I did was around Christmas and I thought the gap between the clip and blank was due to not being able to face to well. Well today I used the marinara sauce rhino from exotics. Everything went fine blank wise, but then I noticed there is a noticeable gap between the clip and top of the blank. I pressed the parts as hard as possible. I know the facing wasn't over done, I just am wondering if this is an issue with this kit. The blank is beautiful! My wife is going to use it since I just can't sell a pen like this. Has anyone else seen this issue? Sorry I couldn't get the rubber grips wiped off for the picture. You can't see it the gap in the picture but trust me, it is very noticeable. I took another picture showing the gap.

rhinoguard.jpg guard-gap.png

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

I have only made one guardian and it was fine, but on all five of the guardian jr's I have made there is a gap. The clip sticks too far up for the black piece to cover. A little extra cutting of the blank and tube would work, just haven't tried it yet.

Mark

The last guardian jr I put together turned out the same way. The previous seven were fine. I attributed the white line I found, to be an overabundance of CA from finishing the Wenge. I hit it with MM and finished again. No line. This however is not what you have, unless you used CA to give you a finish (which I doubt on the acrylic). You could dis-assemble and sand to remove the line, but then the internals would be slightly longer than you desire. Maybe dis-assemble and give it an ever so slight bevel. That would remove the line and leave the internal measurements alone. Good Luck.

wiset1

Pretty sweet looking. Not a huge fan of the Deco pens having turned a couple myself, but these look great with the choice of blank. Great work

ToddMR

I think I discover the gap issue this morning. The black plastic pieces hole isn't large enough to fit over the threaded coupler it fits over. So I am going to file it and make it large enough to go over it. Once I do that, I will be in business.

Also thank you for all the comments. I have come a very long way in my turning since I started soon to be 1 year ago.

Top Bottom