Arrow shaft as tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack barnes

I went to Dick's sporting goods today and picked up some carbon fiber arrows the shaft just fits in a 308 shell casing, although it is a tight fit the nib of a slimline fits in the arrow shaft. Is there going to be a problem later on this way?

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I've made both the shell casing pen and arrow pens, but I never thought of using the arrow to go inside the casing. Isn't the arrow more expensive than using a brass tube?

Rmartin

jack barnes

Rmartin I beleive I had read some where here that some had used aluminum arrows, I'm just not sure about the carbon fiber ones. I've had a problem getting the tube centered when glueing into the casing, This way I'm not using a brass tube at all just drill the casing and glue the arrow shaft in with apoxy. The arrows are on the expensive side.

Jack

Rmartin

About making a sleeve. That seems like a lot of trouble. Turning a blank down just to be hidden inside the shell. I use a brass tube inside a brass tube. I drill the shell with a 5/16 bit and glue in a 5/16 tube. It's nearly a perfect fit on the nib/bullet end. Then the 7mm tube goes inside the 5/16 tube. This fit is slightly loose, but haven't had a problem using 15 minute epoxy. And, when the 5/16 tube is trimmed to length with a cheap plumber's pipe cutter, it crimps the ends just enough to make the 7mm tube a perfect fit.

Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom