Arrow of Light arrows

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFromNH

RussFromNH

Hi all,

I am the Cubmaster and den leader for my boys Cub Scout pack in town. I am starting to make the Arrow of Light awards for the boys that have earned them. I have the supplies but I want to know if anyone has any advice on how to mount the stone arrow head onto the arrow shafts.

My thought is to cut out a section about an inch deep by 1/8th wide with my new band saw from the end. I may need to steam the end (any advice on that?).

the arrows will never be shot, they are for display only... also... How long should they be???

Thanks,
Russ from NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

As I understand it, the arrowheads should sit into the notch in the shaft and than sinew is wrapped around both and tied off. That's why the arrowheads have notches on the sides.

Most of these arrows are around 25 inches allthough they vary greatly to about 32 inches or so.

snyiper

My understanding is that the arrow heads do sit in a notch and are indeed attached with Sinew, a waxed thread would do or perhaps some thin leather chord. I would use a clear epoxy to attach the head with and use chord as decoration to appear as wrapped. As far as Length since they are non functional I would say 28-30 inches max just for ease of handeling.

Last edited:

AultMan

The general rule, were you actually to shoot them, would be the length of the shooters arm from arm pit to finger tip. Cut the end of the arrow like you suggested and then taper the end down to a point with sand paper or a knife. Soak the sinew in the hottest water you can put your hand in and take it out right before you wrap it. Once it dries, it will shrink and be very tight.

You might check around your area for the local bow hunters association. Here is Colorado there are quite a few "traditional" archers who are into this sort of thing and have supplies/experience with replica arrows.

RussFromNH

Thank you. I would not have thought to have soaked the sinew. I will measure my son's arm and make them about that length.

Top Bottom