Army Army Navy - CNC Bullet casing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 76winger

76winger

I made these three pens made using the CNC bullet casings from PTownSubbie for a friend who spent time in both the Navy and then Army reserves. Plus he wanted one for a Christmas present to his son in law who served in the Army as well.

Top halves were made using the lower tube and upper finial from PSI Designer BP pen and their gun clip for the Designer/Euro style pens.

The two Stars & Strips caps came from one of Constant's kits for a Euro pen, I simple cut both the star field and the strip section in half and mated them to make a mini flag for each cap. Cutting through with an Xacto hobby saw allowed me to keep half of the stars from the middle row for each half. I wasn't sure everything would hold together while I did all this, but they ended up coming out really nice I think.

Click thumbnail to see the full size photo from MPA.

All comments are welcomed.

Thanks Fred for the excellent CNC work on the shells!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

In one way, I think the top sections look a little long, but without the length, the flag effect wouldn't have came out right. So overall I'm happy with the final result.

D.Oliver

I never noticed it before, but now that you point it out.....

What size casing are you using? I'd guess a .308. You could balance out the pen a little more by using a longer casing like a 30-06 maybe. Either way, they still look awesome.

PTownSubbie

They do look good Dave! Very cool the way you made the stars and stripes for the top! I hadn't thought of that but it gives it a good look!

The top blank has to be slightly longer than a normal slimline top. The tops I use are 2.19" in length where a slimline top is 2.09" in length.

I am sure they will love them for a long long time!!

Thanks for sharing!

Fred

76winger

They do look good Dave! Very cool the way you made the stars and stripes for the top! I hadn't thought of that but it gives it a good look!

The top blank has to be slightly longer than a normal slimline top. The tops I use are 2.19" in length where a slimline top is 2.09" in length.

I am sure they will love them for a long long time!!

Thanks for sharing!

Fred

The tubes I used for these measure 2 24/64" (2.375). I may shorten it just a little next time since ther's enough solid blue area to take off a little without hurting anything.

Also: for the first time I used Wood Turners Finish on these instead of CA and got it polished up just about as well as the CA did. Takes longer to dry, but if it not "crackle" on me like CA has been doing lately, the change may be worth it.

OZturner

Beautiful Pens Dave
Love the Flags, and the Engraving,
True Stand Outs
Congratulations, to you and Fred, Awesome.
Have a Happy and Healthy New Year
Brian.

Top Bottom