Arizona Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaspar

I just heard that it is now illegal to harvest Arizona Desert Ironwood. Anyone else heard this?

If so, I guess I picked up these beauties just in time.

PresentationGradeAZDesertIronwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Yup.

The top one (it's actually the best of the three) is already committed. I'm going to offer the remaining two as an option to a few people who are thinking of getting pens from me this Christmas. First come, first served kind of thing.

Not sure if there is any more available. But it is Presentation Grade "A" stuff.

Kaspar

I'm trying to find out about the legality of it now. The cool thing is to drop them in water and see what they're really going to look like. Ironwood sinks, of course, and does not absorb water. I think once I whip a high gloss finish on them, they'll look deep enough to swim in.

Ryan

This may not be right, but it seems like I read a year or so ago here on IAP that it is only in regards to standing trees live or dead. Because of this it is hard to come by.

Ryan

reed43

It is illegal to remove any ironwood from the desert. The ironwood I have was purchased from an estate sale about four years ago. They say a hobbist can pick 3 pieces a month but they cannot weigh over 10 pounds.Even on private property you should have a permit to remove it from the property. I have never seen any like on this thread. On another site I seen a thread that said he paid Almost $700.00 a pound for grade B burl, grade A was higher.

Kaspar

This stuff was from the Tucson area. The wood will still be available for a while since it grows in pockets here and there all over Arizona. It's burls like these that are going to be hard to get anymore. Apparently, there was only one area where Ironwood burl had ever been seen, and it's been picked pretty clean. It would be illegal to take it now even if it weren't.

That stuff up TOP may be worth more than I paid for it, eventually.

SteveRoberts

For some reason I took the time to dig through a big pile of DI including some nice burl the other day at one of my sources. I bought all the juicy burl I liked, made several sierras out of some choice bits. Guess I am going to hang on to the other 5 lbs as it is now seems to be much more valuable.

Steve

Dario

Wonderful pieces. I have a few nice DI blanks but nothing close to those.

Desert Ironwood is an endangered species and is Federally protected. I read that it is illegal to collect even dead wood if it died less than 100 years...how they can tell I am not sure [:D]

Try selling some big logs on eBay...you will get contacted by bulk/wholesale buyers (read Agent) so be careful with your answers [;)]

Kaspar

*whew!*

Well, those blanks are slightly under 3/4ths (.728 on one side, .736 on the other) square and I just successfully sent a 37/64 bit right down the center of the cap piece. The .070 side traveled only to .062

I'm feelin' pretty good. I'm now confident of success on the rest of it.

Should have a Statesman in that top blank to show soon. In the usual forum, of course.

Dario

Tom & Chuck,

Sorry...I missed these posts. Just saw them now because of the link provided on Angela's question.

Anyway, the person I am dealing with don't have a site that I know of. I will check with him and advise you on an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom