Are you having this problem as well?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I purchased two Emperor kits last week and due to the price of these kits I am very hesitant to choose a wood to use with them! It's a very strange feeling to look at the piles of wood and look for the exact right piece. Yesterday I received some Myrtlewood burl from Oregon that is amazing so I may use it for the Rhodium kit. I'll post pictures of the wood as a completed Rhodium Jr. Statesman for comparison later.
I was just curios if it's just me or is everyone looking back and forth from kit to wood over and over?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Ron, I have that problem all the time. When I only had a few species of blanks to choose from it was pretty easy. Now it can be a real struggle because I want it to be just the right piece for the kit. I've been going through that very thing with the Jr. Statesmen I picked up on the group buy a few weeks ago. I think I may take a spinner from a game like "Life" and number my burl blanks. Then I can give the spinner a whirl and my decision will be made for me. [:p]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'm with you on this one Ron! Let me pass on the wisdom of another group member from an off forum converstation. Beautiful, figured woods need a plain kit to focus the attention on the wood. A beautiful kit like the Emperor might benefit from an understated wood. I am shamelessly considering his idea to use such a wood as he mentioned to me for one of the Emperors. (I know I didn't mention the exact wood, that was on purpose.) [;)]

alamocdc

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />I'm with you on this one Ron! Let me pass on the wisdom of another group member from an off forum converstation. Beautiful, figured woods need a plain kit to focus the attention on the wood. A beautiful kit like the Emperor might benefit from an understated wood. I am shamelessly considering his idea to use such a wood as he mentioned to me for one of the Emperors. (I know I didn't mention the exact wood, that was on purpose.) [;)]
William, while I can understand the logic of this philosophy, I just really have a hard time pairing what I consider a "lesser" wood with a pen this costly (Jr. Statesman or better). What you say makes sense, and I probably should, but... Okay, let's say I don't use a pretty burl. I could still use a rather straight grained exotic and not feel so guilty. [:D] Maybe.

Ron Mc

William brought up a very good point. I may go with some stabilized birdseye maple for the rhodium kit. Thanks William and the other member as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom