• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwoodido

Are you am member of AAW and/or a local turning club? If so give the local name in a reply.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Yes, and member of Emerald Coast Woodturners Guild although my membership has become less and less active. On Saturday's I get up to go to the meetings (about an hour drive), make a cup of coffee, head out to the shop and never leave. I think I have slowly become my own club, I'd rather make my own shavings than listen to others talk about shavings for 3 hours.

Ray

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yes I am a member of AAW and also Quad State Bodgers (LaVale, MD) and Apple Valley Woodturners (Winchester, VA) [the site is still under construction]... get to go to 2 meetings a month and each is the same distance from home... and now president of Mid-Maryland Woodturners a new AAW club as of January 2005
Joining a local club is the best thing I ever did.. learned more from our mentoring programs than I ever could all by myself with all the books and videos that are out..

Darley

Yes . Hervey Bay Woodcrafts club Inc.

Cheer

Serge

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004101441314_kangaroo.jpg
<br /> 14.2&nbsp;KB

whatwoodido

For all of those of you who are not members of a local club I would strongly encourage you to at least tryout the local club. I think ours has really helped a lot of local turners become better turners. Though I will say that at my local, pen turning is a major past time to any other than the craft show crowd. We are primarily a bowl turning group, but we have some amazing turners in our group, and many halfway decent hacks like myself.

Drew

ldimick

Just a general comment that is sparked by Drew's exhortation to join:

I would like to join a local club. So I spent many hours online checking them out. The local one for me is Orange County. If I remember correctly they have a Yahoo group. I tried to join the group in November but I was politely told I had to attend a meeting first.

Normally that is not a problem but they did not have a 'normal' December meeting so I was basically told I could not join them, learn from them, or associate with them for 60 days. Not a very friendly approach in my opinion.

I find that I spend most of my pen-surfing time here because there is good information, a friendly and supportive attitude, and I can ignore the noise if I want to. Exactly what I would hope to find in a local club, but because of an exclusionary policy I was not able to determine if it exists.

As fasr as AAW goes they do not seem to have enough to offer me (from what I have seen on their website) to bother with. Am I wrong?

KKingery

Bobby - you need to get them Bayou woodturners, to come up to my neck a the woods! The only organization here in Shreveport, is a general woodworkers club - not so much into turning....

Deere41h

Yes and Yes. I am a part of the Golden Triangle Woodturners (GTWT), In Denton TX. We are a small but active group made up of mostly bowl turners. It's a great place to improve ones turning skills. We have had some major talent at our meeting, with something new each month. I would encourage everyone to become active in a local turners club. It will only improve your skills.

J. Fred Muggs

Yes, Yes, And Yes.
Member American Association of Woodturners.
Member Carolina Mountain Woodturners http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org
Member Greenville (SC) Woodworkers Guild http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com

I highly recommend The AAW, and a local club if available. If none is close, consider starting one yourself. The AAW is very helpful in getting new clubs started.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

driften

I am a AAW member and local Seattle AAW member

BTW Here both Rocklers and Woodcraft give a 10% discount to local AAW members so the membership pays for its self real fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom