Are my bushings getting smaller

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuarty1

HI I am a new member and a novice at pen turning , in fact have only been turning for a year so far. I am enjoying making 7mm slimline pens and pencils but it appears that the bushings are getting smaller . I understand that as I sand the wood that the bushing may be affected but I need someone with experience to tell me if this is what happens s or what I'm doing wrong

Confused!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ianjwebster

I'm fairly new also - my bushings used to wear down over time. I just bought new ones. Now I take my pens off the bushes and use a set the 'nylon' (I think they are nylon) finishing bushings before sanding and/or applying a finish. The CA doesn't stick to them either. I got mine from someone on this site but can't remember who.... Sorry.

stuarty1

HI I am a new member and a novice at pen turning , in fact have only been turning for a year so far. I am enjoying making 7mm slimline pens and pencils but it appears that the bushings are getting smaller . I understand that as I sand the wood that the bushing may be affected but I need someone with experience to tell me if this is what happens s or what I'm doing wrong

Confused!

Gary Beasley

Your bushing are indeed getting smaller as you sand them. If you have a dial caliper you can measure the pen parts and determine at what point you need to stop turning to get the best fit, which depends on what kind of finish you apply. Ca finish needs just a little undersize to build up to a proper fit whereas acrylics need to go full size to finish with a polish.

Justturnin

Bushings are soft metal and your HSS tools will peel the metal right off. Sanding also makes them smaller. Dont trust your bushings, get some calipers and measure the actual piece from the kit you will be connecting to.

David M

bushing are wear items , need to replace ever so often. compare the bushing to a smooth center band off of a slimline if you dont have a caliper. If you have extra center bands , they can be used as bushings

gimpy

I always put scotch tape over them before I start to turn, then when you get to the point that you can see the tape being turned I stop, Hope this helps

Top Bottom